Help Calibrating the Highline Meter

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by ps3king, Apr 23, 2010.

1. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

SO i just received my 1st Gen Highline PTG.

Now I need help calibrating it!!!

I used the calibrating strips they gave and some of the readings were off by quite a bit. So after I calibrated it using the instructions it would be off for the other test strips. It seems like when I calibrate it for Ferrous it's off for Non Ferrous and vice versa. maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Advice plzzzz

2. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

They should say a certain error that is still acceptable such as 10% or 5%. I use the PTG more so to gauge how much I can work with as opposed to a definitive proof of how much clearcoat is on the car.

3. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

the error is far beyond what is acceptable. for non-ferrous materials I now get some completely wrong readings like 30 microns when I know that isn't the case.

4. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Are you removing the protective film from the metal coins before you calibrate? You need to remove this film so you can place the calibrating strips on top of the bare metal.

5. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Yup I did that and at first it seemed alrite. But then after I got a reading on the non-Ferrous metal I zeroed it and since then it's been giving me really low readings.

6. richy

richy Guest

Waseem...have you called the company yet? Their customer service is good. Do you need the #?

7. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Probably should have thought of that. I'm going to give them a shout tomorrow from work.

As long as the number is in the briefcase I got I guess I should be ok.

Thanks again Rich!

On a side note - is that you in your avatar in a police officer's uniform?

Waseem

8. richy

richy Guest

Yup...been doing that for 17 years. That was on my issued Harley.

9. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

sweet ride my friend. I'm really considering a career with the RCMP. worked with them as a coop student last year and am looking to do another work term there, this time in Financial Crime (finance is my major).

I've tried the 9 to 5 cubicle life and it just isn't for me. So I went through the career presentation and am mildly studying for the RPATs which I plan to take sometime in late 2010. I also have a ride along for the graveyard shift this coming friday from 9pm to 7:30am with Ottawa Police Service so it should be fun.

10. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Give Brad a call... He will get you going straight

1-248-895-2494

11. richy

richy Guest

Sounds great Waseem. The career is not for everyone. You spend 90% of your time with 10% of the population...who don't even pay taxes. It can be boring for hours and then the adrenaline kicks in on a hot call. If you get in with a large force, there are so many options from Marine, Drugs, Traffic, etc. I don't think there's another job around that offers so much versatility. Our pay is also much better than it used to be years ago. Our American Law Enforcement friends make less but can retire at 20 years of service so they often go on to do another job after. Have fun on your ride along!!

12. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Thx for all the help every1. I think I got it calibrated now.

13. Xcessiv

Xcessiv Birth of a Detailer

What was the issue finally?

14. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Well basically I failed to realize that the highline came pre-calibrated (although still was slightly off) and I had zeroed it. After I zeroed it I couldn't get proper readings nor was I able to calibrate it - the numbers wouldn't go up.

So finally I reset it for Non-Ferrous (since that was the only surface giving me a problem) and re-calibrated everything. Seems to be pretty accurate now.

I called Brad and he wasn't really helpful since he seemed to be in a rush and the only option he was eluding to was to ship it back in. He didn't suggest any troubleshooting since that's what I was essentially having troubles with. Anyhow, it's all good for now.

15. PJS

PJS Birth of a Detailer

You need to calibrate it for each substrate independently.

16. ironman982

ironman982 Virgin Detailer

Hey all,

Just got my Highline II meter in today and am trying to calibrate it using the two "standard shims" Can anyone outline the process for us thick skulled individuals? I understand that one shim is Ferrous (Steel I presume) and the other is Non-Ferrous (Aluminum I presume). Both shims are covered on both sides with a plastic film typical of sheet metal. Are you supposed to remove one side's plastic and leave the other on so that the bare side is the zero calibration level and the plastic covered side is the "coated" side which you are supposed to adjust via the mem button to the "expected value"? The only number I could find as a possible expected value from the instructions is "50um" (46um - 54 um) range including the error tolerances. If so, are both shims to be adjusted to read 50um when measuring the plastic covered side? The Fe shim's two coatings appear different from one another so I am curious that if you are supposed to take one side off for a zero side which side do you remove? Also from reading above it looks like you must reset to factory calibration for each material separately. How exactly do you reset to factory settings? Do you measure the shim just to turn the display on then press and hold the "-" symbol till "0" then "00" then "000" appears then just let the meter auto turn off or are you supposed to then at that time remeasure the shim?

Sorry for all the questions and I know to those who own this and know how to use it these questions probably seem idiotic but the instructions are IMHO horribly written and very vague.

Thanks so much in advance for any and all help you can provide and I hope that this can be an educational thread.