Headlight Restoration: 2004 Cadillac CTS

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Marc08EX, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Hi everyone! The owner's ride was looking sweet but the headlights were pretty worn out. He wanted his headlights restored to like new condition. I didn't know what the condition was going into it and when I arrived, it was looking pretty bad.. The headlights were in extremely rough shape and the scratches were pretty deep. I told the owner that I will definitely be able to improve it but it would not be perfect.

Products Used:

3M 1200 grit sand paper
    3M 2000 grit sand paper
    3M Blue Painter's Tape
    Meguiar's G100 / 3.5" LC Backing Plate
    Meguiar's M105 / LC Orange Pads
    Meguiar's PlastiX / Meguiar's Foam Pad
    Meguiar's NXT 2.0 Tech Wax

Here are some before pictures of the headlights:

Driver Side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passenger Side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I first taped up the surrounding paint areas and opened the hood in order to protect the paint. I wetsanded the headlights with 1200 grit sand paper then followed it up with 2000 grit. Here's a picture of 1 headlight sanded down:

[​IMG]

There were so many deep scratches that could not be removed. I think that I would crack the headlight case if I use a coarser sandpaper and sand into it more. I told the owner that this is the point where I felt it was safe to stop. It was GREATLY improved but it wasn't perfect. You be the judge

After completing the sanding step, I polished the headlights with M105 with a LC orange pad hooked up to my Meguiar's G100. This was followed up with PlastiX applied via a foam applicator pad. The headlights were then sealed with NXT 2.0 Tech Wax after. Here are some final pictures:

Driver Side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passenger Side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? Comments and criticisms are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

2. nyc_medic

nyc_medic Two Bucket System Washer

Looks great. Nice turn around.

3. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter

I think that's an excellent job. Customer must have been happy with that. If I may ask what did you charge?

4. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the compliment guys! I charged $80 for this set. It was pretty bad.

5. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Looks great, just curious how long NXT will hold up and keep them from fading again

6. Marc08EX

Marc08EX Jedi Nuba

It won't provide a long protection for sure that's why i asked the owner to wax the lights every time he washes the car.