Headlight Refinishing Issue

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by SignatureSeriesOwner, May 10, 2010.

1. SignatureSeriesOwner

SignatureSeriesOwner Virgin Detailer

Hi all,

My problem is, I can get the lenses as clear as day (1994 Town Car) but the edges stay yellow. The face of the lense is clear, but the sides that are not exposed are yellow, so when you look at the car, you see a clear lense, with yellow borders. It kind of defeats the purpose, as it's like driving around a shiny black car with dull grey trim. No matter how clean you keep the paint, all people will see is the trim.

Any ides on how to fix that issue? I'm getting tired of looking at it.

2. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Have you removed the lights from the car to see if you can gain access to these parts?

3. SignatureSeriesOwner

SignatureSeriesOwner Virgin Detailer

I have not, mainly because I can't figure out how. There are 4 somewhat delicate clips I need to pry off I was told, but, they are no longer availible if I break them, and if I break all of them, my lights will bounce all over when I hit bumps. :yikes:

I'm honestly hoping it's the side of the lens, instead of the glue that holds the lens to the backing.

I've gotten in there before with a screwdriver end wrapped around a rag with polishing compound or similar, but it's not as good as actually being able to have full access.

4. I don't see any other way around it then to remove the headlights. Every car has some kinda inperfection. Just let it go before you cause more problems then its worth :shakehead:

5. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Try some compound on a cotton swab? I have the same issue on the CRV, but its stupid because its only the left one!

6. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Those headlights are super easy to remove....

7. richy

richy Guest

Try using Autosol on them. You should be able to get it into the tight areas you need to.