Headlight protection after compounding?

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by SRT8Spartan, Feb 1, 2012.

1. SRT8Spartan

SRT8Spartan DB Forum Supporter

Hey guys, after correcting a few sets of taillights and headlights I have just been sealing them up with a liquid sealant or a few layers of wax. I know for some people that dont take care of their cars as much after I do the correction they wont be replacing the layer of wax after its gone, so it they will just yellow again. I was wondering if you guys ever use like a 3M clear film (or something better) over the lights? This might be a noob question but I thought I would ask since you guys are the pros. Thanks!

2. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

Spar Urethane 50:50 with mineral spirits or opti-coat, I believe you have to reapply the urethane mix every 2 years which is not that bad considering the low low costs

3. SRT8Spartan

Opti-coat is in the smaller tube correct? with a plunger and syringe like thing?

4. hamza7

Yes, it's the permanent paint coating for paint but works pretty good for headlights as well. I've heard doesn't last as long as the urethane mix though so you might want to try that I mean for like $30 you can make like urethane mix for 50 headlights. You'll spend like $10-$15 in opti-coat for just one set of headlights

5. SRT8Spartan

gotcha, is the urethane mix like a wook varnish? mixed with mineral spirits?

6. hamza7

Yes exactly, mineral spirits is just so you get some fluidity

7. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

How is it a permanent coating but yet doesn't last as long as any product you compare it to?

8. SRT8Spartan

well i do have mineral spirits left over from regripping my golf clubs so id be set if i went the urethane way, think ill read up more on it. Im sure ive missed a few threads about the two, thanks for the advice though! gotta find a good protection for them, wax just isnt cutting it.

9. sikedsyko

sikedsyko DB Forum Supporter

If you're good with paint, you can clearcoat the lenses

10. D&D Auto Detailing

D&D Auto Detailing DB Forum Supporter

How did you figure that?

11. hamza7

I personally haven't tested this but it's a permanent coating for paint only, OPT says so and so do I. I don't remember exactly how it failed, but there a thread AG about it, search for it if you want.

12. hamza7

Well it's 50cc for $60 on avg. I figure I use 6-8cc on application on avg. sized headlights, I suck at applying it thin or what ever either way. Urethane is a steal compared to opti-coat no matter how you put it.

BTW what happened to the like feature.

13. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

I got tired of polishing my headlights after doing it 3 times that I had them covered with a light smoke vinyl on them. Looks good and I'm done with them until I do hid projectors.

I will looking at doing the mineral spirits mix on my friend's headlights ;)

14. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

I've never heard that the longevity of OC is "paint only". To my knowledge and my experiences it has proven to last on paint, plastic, glass, metal.

HOLY CRAP... I can do a regular size car with 6-8cc's .... You are using (and wasting) a ton of product

15. SRT8Spartan

online it says that the tube is new 20 cc so 6-8 per app (both headlights) is almost half the bottle. Id say 1-2 cc is more like its supposed to be id think, smaller bottle but its like cobra venom right? smaller doses is sufficient?

16. frankiman

frankiman Birth of a Detailer

wow someone is overapplying his opticoat... LOLLL

17. hamza7

I guess I am lol, but I use 10-15% of the syringe. Just so everyone can sleep at night I will measure next time I coat some headlights.

18. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

I used 4-5 cc per car, including headlights. I find the impact resistance isn't there so I use a urethane. i did my wife's car last April, and they still look like the day I cleaned them up.

19. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Hi Bryan: Can you elaborate on your experience in regard to the abpove statement?

Thx

20. SRT8Spartan

Interested as well, I know the urethane wouldnt handle as much rock chips and yellowing as say a clear vinyl or something but is also easier to apply. would like to hear about your experience with it.