Headlight mess

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by dlt21, Jun 5, 2012.

1. dlt21

dlt21 Virgin Detailer

I have something on my Audi Headlights that I can not remove I have tried cleaning, polishing,goof off.paint thinner..CG water spot remover.. nothing budges it

plz any suggestions

Attached Files:

2. NorthEastAutoSalon

NorthEastAutoSalon Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Well sounds like you might have to wet sand then...

3. brk4euros

brk4euros DB Pro Supporter

wet sand with 1000 and then 3000, polish out. good to go.

4. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Is the other headlight like that?
    Looks like pitting to me.

5. WashingJosh

WashingJosh Jedi Nuba

Try sanding like ops mentioned. It kind of does look pitted to me as well.

6. artemis53

artemis53 Jedi Nuba

Make sure after sanding off the pitting that you apply some protection as you just removed all your UV clear coat on them and they will haze and oxidize very quickly after. You can just use certain clear spray paints, and just repolish that after spraying.

7. SRT8Spartan

SRT8Spartan DB Forum Supporter

Agreed with wet sanding, another option of protection is opti-coat or spar urethane, I have used both and came out with great results.

8. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

9. dlt21

dlt21 Virgin Detailer

After checking it further a lot of the problem is on the inside . Does anyone have any experience in pulling out Audi headlights. My buddy did it on his F250 but this looks more difficult to him

10. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

Typically, you'll find this information in an Audi owner forum of your model.

11. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

http://www.audizine.com/forum/
    I hope you got some time on your hands. I own an 04 allroad and have removed my lights twice, it is a bit of a procedure, but there are a ton of threads on Audizine forums.

12. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

I've had great results with spar urathane/mineral spirits the first several times I've done a few lights.

Earlier this week. I wetsanded some Lexus headlights as usual and tried doing the spar/urathane 50/50 and it came out like total crap.

Does anyone know what the optimal temperature is for the spar treatment to work well? I was doing this in my garage and the temps were around 95-100 degrees here. As soon as I applied it to the lights and was spreading it on, within a few seconds it became super sticky and disgusting. It didn't even cure properly as there were streaks left on the entire light. I was forced to remove it with prepsol and just polish the lights out with a buffer. I gave it two tries and both times the same thing happened. Was really bummed.