Hazed interior plastics

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by GDAL, Jul 14, 2009.

1. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Guys/gals,

What do you guys recommend for the restoration of hard interior plastics? I have some stains on my shifter indicator plastic panel and some stains on my speedometer.

Another question ... what do you guys use to remove similar stains on "fake" aluminum trim? I own a highlander that has some stains on the fake aluminum trim (dull plastic). 303 makes them better, but they are still there and I would like to know if there's a polish that removes them.

Thanks,
    g

2. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

:shead:Are you sure these are not etchings in the plastic?
    My Daughter helped me clean my car 1 time about 15 years ago and instead of Window cleaner She sprayed wire wheel cleaner on my instrument panel.:thud:

If this is just a Haze as you stated 303 should do the job, thats why I ask.:waiting2:

3. GDAL

GDAL Guest

it's really light etching. I just need something to polish these stains. They are not hideous, but they are there and it's driving me nuts. I just want to restore the clarity.

4. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Well if you can get 1 of those itty bitty polishers in there(Carn has one, :shead:not sure where he got those lil pads:giggle:) you could probally wet sand using 3000 grit. :shead: the only problem I see with that is how you gonna let water run on it:yikes: Maybe you could remove the panel and hang it upside down, to keep water running into it. :shead: I would use a Spray bottle of H2o.

The more I think about this idea the more I DON'T like it. :shakehead:
    You may have to see if you can find another panel on E-Bay or something.:computer:

Definetelly keep us posted on this :waiting2:

5. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Jedi Nuba

Try some plastX

If that doesn't work, step it up to a polish with a little bit more bite to it. You shouldn't have to wetsand it

6. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Meg's M9. I also like to finish with Blackfire's one step cleaner polish & glaze.

7. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Thanks 4 stepping up guys :worship2:

When my daughter hit mine with wire wheel cleaner I tried every kinda Polish/Compound on my shelf to no avail....I just lived with it,my Daughter use to kid me that I would always think of her when I drove.:doh:

8. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Did you tell her it's not nice to think of her that way?:giggle:

9. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Your right, I was quite upset about this for a couple of weeks, untill my wife sat me down and drilled me....:bla2::bla2::bla2:
    Who was that had her helping you she asked?...That would be me I replied.:duh:

Actually it wasn,t even 2 weeks, more like 5 days before I came to my senses. For me to be in this kinda business I don't know if its just me getting older but little things like this just don't bother me like they use to....Weird

10. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Thanks for the help guys!!

11. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Guys ... I tried PlastX and it worked great on the shifter, but I still have some etching in the cluster. I'm gonna try it again ... this product really needs some elbow grease to get it to work. What kinda applicator you guys would use in a cluster? I'm having a hard time getting the applicator motion right in order to work the PlastX better.

12. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Put some PlastX on a cotton towel and apply, I feel they have more bite then a m/f.:shrug:

13. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Thanks for the advice guys ... using a cotton towel actually help. This has been by far the slowest working product I have ever used in my life ... it literally took me 2 hrs to get all the etching out of the cluster. I rather take this time to get it right than using something really aggressive and screwing up really fast.

14. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

I'm glad you got that situation solved :applause2:

15. SSTG

SSTG DB Forum Supporter

Great job on the advice Flash.