Has anyone found a clay/ lube combination that can achieve no marring?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by ampbmw, Feb 3, 2012.

1. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

My dad wants me to clean his 2011 Mini Cooper tomorrow, and I would really like to clay it, since it sits outside. The car came new in Fall 2011 and he requested the dealership not do any washing or sealing on the paint so there were no dealer induced clearcoat defects. So, the clearcoat is very defect free upon inspection in sunlight, it has only been washed by me.

Ok, so now that that's established, my goal is to wash and seal the car, but obviously I can tell it needs to be clayed, but I don't want to induce marring from the claying step. I have been using ONR at the recommended dilution with distilled water and Poly Clay I bought from Polished Bliss in the UK. However, maybe it's my technique but I usually am very liberal with the ONR, but I always get a slight bit of clear coat marring.

I don't think I'll have the time to do any machining on the cooper till the summer (I'm in school), so I pretty much only have a saturday to do the cleaning. So, I really am interested in finding a clay/ lube and technique tips on how to gently do a maintenance claying (the contaminants are not heavy at all) without goofing up the already defect free finish on the cooper.

Can anyone help me?

2. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

Dodo juice clay lube is amazing. And u can dilute it.

3. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

I like Mother's clay used with ONR @ clay lube dilution ratios. That seems to be one of the mildest, yet effective combos.

4. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

I like Ultima Waterless Wash Concentrate +

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I haven't been able to make Sonus White Clay marr anything. That, Riccardo Yellow and our Exclusive Yellow clay shouldn't give you any problems either.

6. lasthope05

lasthope05 Jedi Nuba

I personally fine onr to be extremely poor as a clay lube. No real lubricity at all. I like megs last touch. That stuff is so slick painters tape has a hard time sticking to the paint afterwards.

Ken when are you opening back up? I want to pick up some of your products.

7. Russ@Xclusive

Russ@Xclusive Two Bucket System Washer

I haven't had too many issues using 1:1 CG Luber with the Mothers OTC yellow clay. It isn't that strong though but it hasn't marred any surfaces I've tested it on. Keep in mind you'll have to use a lot of lube and fold the clay often.

8. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

I'll have to disagree. I find ONR to be super slick as a wash product and clay lube.

9. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

I see you mentioned "our" exclusive clay... I would be all about doing some business through you when you re-open.

Just thought I'd poke that in here.

10. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Sonus Green or Grey with Dawn mixed with QD or ONR and water....never an issue.

11. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

yep, saving my pennies too..... Clay, Shampoo, and some other stuff.

12. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

I don't like ONR as clay lube either, it's really odd to work with, almost too slippy but the clay still clings to the surface once in a while.

So far I think Swissvax Car Bath mixed with demineralised water is the best option, it's slick, doesn't leave a film behind like ONR or Megs Last Touch, and so far no problems with clay marring, mainly using Zaino, Megs Prof. Mild or the original SonĂ¼s Green. Remember to soften the clay in warm water after each section, it really helps too.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

13. lasthope05

lasthope05 Jedi Nuba

I don't know. Our definitions on slickness must differ but I never find onr giving the paint that just waxed slickness megs lt does on bare paint.

14. mrd0t

mrd0t Obsessive Detailer

ONR works great for me, except it leaves a film behind sometimes.

15. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

I hear you! ONR is not at all slick compared to a QD, or even a mild MS UG mix. Sure, the clay glides but I just don't feel it being slippery.

16. HeavyD

HeavyD DB Forum Supporter

ONR(couple drops of 1Z Perls) as my clay lube (Thank you Kilo,I was running out) and Exclusive yellow clay wont mar. Sooooooooooooo soft, like a giant Gummi Bear LOL(Thank you Ken) P.S Im running out.:poke: LOL

17. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks ONR sucks balls as a clay lube, at any dilution. No lubricity compared to a real clay lube. Store should be open again by the end of Feb if all goes well.

18. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

:agree:

CG Luber is nice as well.

19. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

:lol:

20. nyrep1

nyrep1 Obsessive Detailer

yes the few times i used onr as a clay lube it seemed like one the clay crumbled and left bits on the paint and two i had to make more passes to effectively remove whatever was on the paint ...i prefer cg synthetic for clay lube