Hardness (Why is a very hard CC so easy to scratch

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by togwt, Jan 30, 2008.

1. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

This article is being updated / revised and will be re-posted when completed]

2. Rickrack

Rickrack DB Pro Supporter

Wow, very informative!

I always love reading your posts.

3. bigpoppa

bigpoppa Jedi Nuba

Interesting you mention this, because I have noticed when QDing or wiping down black paint in the hot sun, it *seems* to marr easier than if I had been doing it in the shade.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

I agree, very good information there togwt. I assumed what you said about cold temperature vs hot temperatures but now I'm not the only one that has noticed that.

Just a question, here in Canada the temperature fluctuates so much does drastic change in temperature affect the clear coat/paint? If so how? Just curious that's all.

Thank you for sharing with us :thumb:

5. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

If your asking about temperature change, no harm, polyurethane is a plastic so it will expand/contract .

A 'moderate' temp swing, same thing. If you heated the surface and then immediately chilled it it may cause thermal stress and fracture [tech stuff like coefficient of expansion, temperature difference, etc] = you would end up with 'spider web' cracking

6. klumzypinoy

klumzypinoy Nuba Guru

Man very informative...temperature seems really important!

7. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Indeed it is-
    Compound Polishing Surface Temperature - the temperature of a paint surface should be monitored when using a high-speed polisher, friction heat can cause a rapid temperature rise in the order of 20oF (i.e. initial surface temp 80oF, heat attained with a cutting foam pad at 1,100 RPM for approx. ten seconds is approx. 104oF) the localized paint temperature should be limited to 110 oF. In accordance with the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) a temperature of 115 oF will cause the urethane clear coat to soften and the foam pad will cause scratching that is forced deep into the clear coat.

8. Vibrant Vince

Vibrant Vince Virgin Detailer

Any Updates? Any Charts?