...hand polishing

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by TheRustySuper, Mar 16, 2012.

1. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

Yeah I know, I need a machine. But for now, that's not in the cards for me. I'm a freshman at college and have very little money to my name, and I can't possibly ask my parents for more money, they've already had to buy me a fair amount of stuff lately. But anyway, I applied Opti-Coat to my '09 GTI back in August, but I must not have prepped my paint correctly before Opti-Coating it, because it's pretty much failed on the roof and is doing so on other panels as well. For the last few weeks of school I'm just gonna clay the car and hit it with some Collinite 845, which should keep everything protected until the middle of May when I come home for summer break. But once I get home, I want to go ahead and remove the Opti-Coat and re-apply it, or possibly keep it removed and just go back to waxing/sealing, I'm not sure yet.

My question: I have some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound that I just bought, along with a few different types of microfiber applicators. I want to hand polish the Opti-Coat off my car...I figure it's possible but will be time consuming. But about how time consuming do you think? As I said before, I drive a 2009 GTI. And how difficult would it be to polish out the minor swirls in my paint with this product?

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Great car by the way I drive the same car lol.

3. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

never polished by hand, maybe something less aggressive then a compound? no?

4. Handz

Handz Obsessive Detailer