Hand polishing ???????????

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Beast Mode, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Beast Mode

Beast Mode Virgin Detailer

I have a sports bike and would like to polish the plastic body. I think there are too many sharp edges to machine polish. What kind of pads and polish would be a good combo for hand polishing?

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Have a look at the hand polishing pads we carry, here. They work extremely well. I used the orange one with M105 to remove wetsanding marks on the Shelby I'm working on.

3. Beast Mode

Beast Mode Virgin Detailer

Would I have to prime the hand pad like normal pads?

4. 911Fanatic

You can if it makes you more comfortable, but usually I just put a bead of polish down the center of the pad and have at it.

5. richy

richy Guest

If it's a small enough area, I just put some polish on a mf and use that. Just like you would under door handles.

6. TWISTEDFRAME

TWISTEDFRAME Jedi Nuba

I have several clear coated carbon fiber parts under my hood I would like to polish before I seal them next. Is it worth stepping up to a hand pad or does the MF method work well enough to not spend the extra money for just a few parts? Thanks.

7. 911Fanatic

I used mf for a long time and found the pads will cut the time down considerably. If they didn't work, they wouldn't be in my store. :)

8. TWISTEDFRAME

TWISTEDFRAME Jedi Nuba

thanks for the quick reply!

9. izzypizzy

izzypizzy Virgin Detailer

My car was recently damaged by a faulty car cover, the thing wouldn't stay on in the wind. The scratches are pretty minor, but I can see them and that bothers me.. They're only in 2 small areas, above the right rear tire and above the left drivers door.

I don't own any polishing equipment, so I was wondering just how effective using one of those hand polishers would be? I'd be willing to buy a pad and some polish if it would do the trick. Would I need one pad/polish for cutting and a different combo for smoothing it out afterward?

Thanks for any advice:)

10. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

nice one Ken. I never knew Menzerna made pads and i also would use a microfiber to catch some small stuff but you're the man and if you say those work i just might have to get some LoL.

11. Depends on the severity of the scratches. Regardless, the orange pads Ken(911 Addict) was speaking of I feel everyone should have anyway :hmph:

12. izzypizzy

They're not easily visible except in the right lighting, so not too severe. Which polish would you recommend with the orange pad? Thanks :worship2:

13. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

Which polishes do you have? My personal favorite polish by hand is Meguiar's Ultimate Compound as it is one of the few polishes I have used by hand that produces a finish similar to a machine session while being able to actually remove defects. Technique is most important when working with hand, I find that the best results for me come from the following technique:

-Begin with heavier pressure and work in alternating back & forth motions and the tradition orbital 'waxing' motion

-As the polish breaks down, use less and less pressure on the polishing pad to eliminate the potential of leaving any micro marring.

-The last few passes should be done with minimal pressure to get the sharpest reflection and finish.

14. izzypizzy

Thanks a lot for the info! I don't own any polishes, I'll be picking up one of those pads and I'll probably give the polish you recommended a try. Thanks again.

15. izzypizzy

So checking back in.

I purchased the orange hand pads and the meguiar's ultimate compound and went at it.. It helped a little, but man is hand polishing tiring for the results. I wish I could afford a machine to do it right, or to pay someone to do it. Somewhere down the road I will.

Thanks again.