Hand-painted pinstripe removal??

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by GDAL, Dec 8, 2009.

1. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Guys,

One of my customers (white Explorer) wants me to remove his hand-painted pinstripes next Spring. I know it's a little to early to ask, but ... what do you guys recommend for this type of removal? There are some areas were the paint is chipping off, but for the most part, the stripe is still present.

How do you guys think should I tackle this task?

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

As the pin-stripping is above the clear only thing I could think of is wet sanding the pin strips down, then cutting and buffing. They may sand off easier than one would think but will let someone who has done it before chime in. I think this may be the only way.

3. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

First I would try going at it with some laquer thinner and demoted towels as they will prob get ruined. If that doesn't work wetsanding is the way to go.

4. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Thanks for the advice :worship2:

I noticed paint particles in my sponge when I was washing the vehicle. I think I might be able to remove most of it with a good lacquer thinner wipe ...:thumb:

5. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

:doh: Why didnt I think of that...like one of my professors says I always take the hard way to solve a problem.

6. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

cause wet sanding is a much more rewording fun way to remove such a god awful idea of pin stripes

7. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Now I agree most of the time pin stripe are bad, but if done correctly on the right car they do make the car look great. But they cant be the cheap vinyl ones but nice hand painted on a classic car just makes it complete. But like I said it has to be done correctly.

8. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Don't hate on pinstripes!

I stripe for fun... done correctly they can look very good...

Laquer thinner for sure... if he used one shot it will eat it up very easy...

9. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

i hate on the PS on a "One of my customers (white Explorer)"

i live in the motor city and have seen a bazillion pin stripes on cars that dont need them or hve them on the wrong line. just my $0.02

10. GDAL

GDAL Guest

11. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

gianni, the only other thing to look out for is if you in face are able to remove the pinstriping with the laquer thinner, once it is removed, take a close look at the line of where it USED to be. a lot of times, especially with pinstriping thats been on for a while, there will be an indentation of sorts where the pinstripe used to be. for a more flawless "it was never there" look, i would then go about wetsanding that area to even everything out. just something to keep in mind, and something you can also charge more for ;-)

12. GDAL

GDAL Guest

I know exactly what you are talking about ... I test drove a black legacy wagon at car sense and I could definitely see the plastic pinstripe "shadows". I got plenty of sandpaper so I should be good.

He's thinking about a 1-stepper so I'm thinking about menzerna 203 on a green pad ... it's moderately swirled, but I know I have perform a test for the right combo.

You know my freakin' car corrects to about 75-80% with 85rd along with a blue uber pad ... it's crazy soft. I did like 5 IPA wipedowns cause I couldn't believe it.