Hammered Black Z06 Corvette Brought Back to Life!!

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Rickrack, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Rickrack

Rickrack DB Pro Supporter

This Z06 Corvette is probably one of the worst ‘newer’ cars I have seen in a while, maybe even ever! I can’t believe such a sweet car could have been neglected so bad…

Things have been extremely busy lately, so I have been booked up several weeks in advance. I had a very busy week scheduled and I received a phone call to ‘squeeze’ this car in because it was sold and getting delivered in a couple days. Of course, the nice guy that I am, says “Sure, bring it on down!” Huh….. What a mistake that was!

When the car arrived at the shop, it looked bad enough, but I could tell the car had recently been waxed and I was sure that it would look even worse once it was completely stripped. Sure enough, I asked the owner and he said that he ran it through the car wash and had them ‘glaze it’.

Time was crucial, as the car needed to be finished in less than 48 hours. I was told not to worry about the minor little details, just concentrate on getting the paint as perfect as possible since the new owner was very picky and said he would refuse the car if it had swirls in the paint.

Preparation:
    I did a quick wash, then used Spray Nine cleaner on a damp microfiber towel to strip away any wax, sealant or glaze that was embedded in the paint. I rewashed the car, clayed the exterior using Sonus green clay, rinsed and dried. I didn’t bother cleaning the wheels, tires, wheel wells or engine bay since they weren’t too bad and time was a factor. Once dry, I used compressed air to remove any leftover water from all cracks and crevices, then wiped the exterior down with 91% alcohol to ensure a proper surface for polishing. All trim and other crucial areas were masked off.

Before Pictures:

Below is what the car looked like after prepping the car for polishing. As you can see, the car was absolutely hammered to say the least. From the looks of it, some of the panels had been previously wetsanded and poorly refinished, resulting in sanding scratches, holograms, wool pad marring, etc…The rest of the car had all kinds of damage as well, including deep scratches, pitting, stone chips, you name it…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The drivers side door had some very deep etching, which was really weird. I am guessing it was caused from some sort of chemical that has an adverse reaction with the paint. I tried compounding the door to remove it, but it was too deep and required wetsanding to fully remove it. Below is what the door looked like…

[​IMG]

2. Rickrack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During Pictures:

Due to the limited amount of time I had to work on the car, I did a test panel to see if a 2-step polishing treatment would get the car looking good enough for delivery. Of course, this didn’t do much, so I knew I had to break out the wool pad and heavy compound to get the results I was looking to achieve. After some testing, I chose to use Mark-V MV350 using a black lambs wool pad to level the paint and remove the deeper defects.

Below is what the passenger side door looked like after MV350/black wool pad…

[​IMG]

To remove the compounding haze and wool pad abrasions left from the MV350/black wool combo, I used MV350 using a green American Buffing cross-cut foam pad, followed by 3M 80349 (UK) Ultra Fine Compound using a flat green LC pad. This worked amazing as you can see in the pics below. These pics were taken after an alcohol wipedown before any final polishing was done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I moved around the entire car using the same process mentioned above.

Passenger side ¼ panel before…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passenger side ¼ panel after…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The entire hood had been previously wetsanded and had some pretty deep scratches present. After polishing the entire hood with MV350/black wool, MV350/green AB foam and 3M 80349/green LC foam, a few deeper RIDS were not fully removed as you can see below. I was reluctant to go any further due to the fact that the clearcoat had already been diminished enough from wetsanding.

Hood before:

[​IMG]

Hood after… (notice the few RIDS remaining):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I attempted to compound the drivers door using Mark-V MV350 compound on a black lambs wool pad to remove the etching and other defects. The etching was too deep and required wetsanding to fully remove it. I wetsanded a few spots with 3000 grit wetsand paper, which did the trick. Below is what the door looked like before…

Door before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Door after wetsanding, MV350/black wool, MV350/green AB foam and 3M 80349/green LC foam:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left fender before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Left fender after MV350/black wool, MV350/green AB foam and 3M 80349/green LC foam:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few pictures to show what the car looked like after the MV350/black wool, MV350/green AB foam and 3M 80349/green LC foam combo before any final polishing was done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Rickrack

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all of the major polishing was completed, I gave the car a quick wash to remove all of the dust and polish spatter in all of the cracks & crevices, door jambs, etc…

For the final polishing step, I used 106fa on a flat LC black pad which really made a difference and left the finish ready for the LSP. After finishing all of the polishing, I gave the car a quick alcohol wipedown, followed by a Zaino Z6 wipedown.

I chose to use Blackfire Wet Diamond paint sealant since I have only used it on light color cars before. It went on & off very easy and gave the car a nice look.

Here are the final results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice reflections:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outside:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mmm, horsepower….…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

excellent work, dude! Two thumbs up!

5. Hostage1978

Hostage1978 Guest

HOLYHELL that thing was destroyed! Amazing correction...

how many hours were sunk into that job?

6. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

absolutely magnificent :applause:

7. - Z -

- Z - Virgin Detailer

Magnificant job! :applause2:

8. Asphalt Rocket

Asphalt Rocket Nuba Guru

Great job Rick, looks like a couple areas were repainted. Also glad to see you posting some of your work over here.

9. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Awesome work as usual Rick! You really saved this one!

What black lambswool pad do you use for compounding? I was actually thinking of getting rid of my Edge wool pads.

You should post here more often! :)

10. Nice job man. That car came out beautiful.

11. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

Great detail...It looks beautiful...You've got the magic touch and I really love Corvettes...:thumb:

12. merlin3008

merlin3008 Birth of a Detailer

Incredible detail...great work in short order!

13. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

that looks good!

14. Rickrack

supercharged- Thanks!

Hostage1978- Thank you! It took about 20 hours or so to complete the entire job...

Chas- Thank you!

-Z- Thanks a lot!

Asphalt Rocket- Thanks! Two of the panels had some paint work and other panels were wetsanded so the orange peel matched. Not the best job I've seen...

Denzil- Thanks Denzil!

I used a black Tuf-Buf wool pad from MicroSurface. They are very similar to PFW, but I like them much better. They're a great alternative to using agressive wool like the Edge ones you have. Definitely worth picking one up to try. I guarantee you won't use your Edge wool pads anymore once you try these.

I'll start posting over here more. It's so nice without all the drama at the 'other' site...

joshs07redss- Thank you Josh!

Buddy- Thanks! I'm a huge Corvette nut myself...

merlin3008- Thanks merlin!

yukonon22- Thank you!

15. DC5Berry

DC5Berry Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Good Lawd! Stunning paint! I always enjoy seeing your write-ups

16. littlemissGTO

littlemissGTO Welcome to Detailing

What an amazing turn around. I hope the owner appreciates the hard work that went into bring that car back to life.

17. uncleglenny

uncleglenny Two Bucket System Washer

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHAT DID THAT GUY DO TO THAT THING:gasp: great job !!!!

18. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Obsessive Detailer

Amazing work...

Any feedback from the owner on your resoration? :)

19. cramps

cramps Virgin Detailer

Fantastic job, wow!

20. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Damn Rickrack, this was incredible work....knowing your past work, i bet it was hard to squeeze this into only 20 hours, and you did the car and inredible justice...