Had to share this.

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by pektel, Aug 11, 2010.

1. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Came across this statement on another forum I frequent. Just got up off the floor from laughing so hard:

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Choice!

3. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Maybe he thinks the Maaco one for $550 is a "real" paint job?

4. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I saw that too haha. How downhill that forum has gone.

5. Mindflux

How good could LVC *EVER* be. Did it go downhill? :p

6. I'm just wondering if he is being serious :shakehead:

7. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

is Maaco really that bad? I mean i have never used them as we don't even have them here and i have a few buddies that paint anyways so no need to use them.

Would you say Maaco would be good in a pinch such as for those who have no clue about how to polish paint and are maybe selling a car or are they just complete crap?

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Birth of a Detailer

Hey guys for $500 they use the best brush money can buy to paint his car!:applause2:

9. pektel

You are/were a member of lvc too?

See for yourself:

Paint Job...Opinions? - Lincoln vs Cadillac

What I've heard is, maaco just tapes stuff off (doesn't remove things like emblems/body mouldings/lights/etc.), scuffs the paint, and shoots. Doesn't paint door jambs/under trunk/under hood/etc. I would worry about a quality paint job by any shop that is based on volume and cheap prices.

10. I've had a couple cars that I have flipped painted at Maaco. Yes, they really are shitty, but to make a quick sell it will work (I always deleiver the car taped up and as much trim as possible removed) :drinking2:

11. Mindflux

No, I just googled your quote and LVC came up. I can't imagine that board being any fun. But I'm sure there are folks that say "Those guys sitting around talking about Cigars all day are weird"... when that's something I enjoy.

:shead:

12. pektel

I own a Lincoln LS, so that's why I frequent that forum. I wouldn't otherwise.

kustomizingkid is a member there too.

13. JPerrydore

JPerrydore Birth of a Detailer

Ahh sitting around talking about cigars! That's my kind of place! I too enjoy a nice stick from time to time!

14. pektel

If you want to keep it that way, don't visit cigarasylum.com. I'm already checking out a 300 count humi...

15. Mindflux

My first was a 150ct, then I jumped to a 52 bottle wine fridge. :p (you saw my humidor in that other post on here)

16. pektel

Yep. Wine frig is another option too. Then I can store boxes too. Hmmm...

17. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I think it all comes down to choices...number one is what kind of car is it anyway? Then how long does he wants a paint to last? Is he willing to PREP the paint before the initial respray? How much is he willing to spend...
    My wife had a '97 Acura TL 3.2 prior to us purchasing her a new BMW 6 years ago, anyway, Acura had 127k on the clock when a transmission broke, cost $1k to fix it, paint was peeling off (clearcoat failure), and repainted for $300.I was prepping the paint myself, as shop wanted $1000 for the paint job, which was not worth it considering age/milage of a car. A co-worker of mine repainted his 2000 Honda Accord (with 150k on the clock), and spent $2000 on the paint job...did it look 7 times better??? It did not...

18. KlineS157

KlineS157 Birth of a Detailer

My good friend used to work at Macco. You can get can a competive paint-job there. He used to do them all the time, they were typically in the 2k+ range. If you look on their website you'll see, the low prices(500 & -) are for a single stage paint job, no prep work, they will paint over everything. If you want a decent base/clear paint job they start at 1200. You would be surprised at what amount and the quality of good stuff is done at Macco.

I believe the 200 - 800 dollar paint jobs is just a well paid off business move, think of how many of us, do lower priced details, for the people who just want it cleaned up a bit, pretty much the same concept, if the clear is off and surface rust is forming, why not spend a couple hundred on a car that isnt worth more then 1k. But as always you get what you pay for, nothing ever worth while is cheap and easy.

Everytime i hear people talking about Macco, i always feel the need to chime in :). But you most certainly can get a average to above average paint job at Macco, you just need to strach open your wallet a little more.

19. Dangler

Dangler Birth of a Detailer

Maaco's are franchises correct??? So some have the potential to be better than others. its dependent on the skill level of the people that work at a particular Maaco.

I've seen a "higher" priced Maaco paint job, with the proper prep, base and clear paint job....and i have to say it look really good....and i believe is warrantied too. I could be mistaken.

Would i bring my car to one.....no.

20. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Getting a car painted "properly" takes time. Not the time afforded by even $2k. If its done "properly", there will be nothing taped off on the car except the holes in the body where the glass used to be. Any time you tape something off, sooner or later the clear WILL peel back.