!@$% Gum on Leather....

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by sweetlou, Apr 6, 2013.

1. sweetlou

sweetlou Two Bucket System Washer

Hey guys,

So like the title says, I happened to sit in some gum today without noticing :shakehead: and noticed a nice glob of it on my black leather seat (perforated/heated) when I got out. I wasn't able to pull off much, as it was more of a thin melted layer. I took a damp mf and some 1z Lederpfledge to it with some scrubbing action and got most of it off (or it just sank into the leather :shead:

However there is about a 3 inch streak that will not budge. It looks like a glaze or melted candle permanently affixed to the seat. I found my bottle of Lexol and went after it with a soft toothbrush and it just wont budge. I tried the ice trick, and using a toothpick but its just too thin a layer to remove safely this way, and I don't want to gouge the leather (Abosultely pristine up until this point :mad:)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I have used Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover to remove gum on seats. Its a very mild solvent. Dab some onto a mf and lightly rub, not scrub, the area.

3. DJBAILEY

DJBAILEY Birth of a Detailer

Thanks. I'll have to remember that tip.

4. sweetlou

Thanks for the input! Wish AG was available locally; if I can't get anything else to work I'll order some some online.

5. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Find a local janitorial supply place. They usually carry a product specifically for gum removal. I think it freezes it and hardens it, then you can peel it off.

6. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

7. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

Try some ice cubes to harden the gum up so it can be picked off.

8. sweetlou

Hmm, do you think cockpit premium would have enough bite to try?

I tried ice to no avail. Maybe I should let it sit on the seat longer in a ziplock bag? I was a bit wary because I read somewhere ice can crack the leather :shead:

9. David Fermani

David Fermani DB Certified Manufacturer

Hmmm, not totally sure, but Auto leather is made to endure pretty cold temps. Definately try the baggie thing. I wouldn't go into there bare and oversaturating the finish.

10. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Joseph Rogers likes this.
  11. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

I was a bit wary because I read somewhere ice can crack the leather

Urethane is both abrasion resistant and flexible to move with differing surface temps so ice (applied locally) will not crack it (cold temps will not affect leather, otherwise a vehicle could not be left outside in winter months)

12. sweetlou

Finally got it off. Car was sitting outside on a hot day (no cover), and when I got in realized the remaining gum rolled off with ease. If this happened again, I might consider a heat gun (on coated leather that is).

13. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

As mentioned on the gum, if it's Leather I use heat but hold the heat gun far enough away from the seat for obvious reasons(Use the same technique for emblem adhesive removal in conjunction with solvent/adhesive remover). On carpet or cloth seats Sprayaway gum remover is the way to go as I have pics of this in one of my past write ups on a carpet on a M3 where you spray the product on and then gently brake it up with your fingernail.

On thresholds a mild solvent can be used but caution for colorfastness(P&S solvent X) also this will work on frame rails of seats. A warm day will help in getting this stuff like the OP experienced which is also the move for removing clear film off the car.

14. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

I tried Goo Gone on a blob of gum that had found a new home in the carpet, just a tiny amount to cover it, then a plastic razor blade to break up the clump. It took a little stiff bristle brush scrubbin, but it came up and I bloted the carpet with a little CG stain remover just in case.

15. Joseph Rogers

Joseph Rogers New Member

I hadn't thought of a heat gun, but was going to suggest a steamer. Glad you got it fixed.

16. The Driver

The Driver Birth of a Detailer

I use the steamer all the time for stuff like that. It literally melts it away and then just wipe.