Guess I have to learn how to wetland now...

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by TheRustySuper, Jun 17, 2013.

1. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

When I took our dog out this morning...I noticed this on my car. They got my bf's Passat too, though not as bad.

[​IMG]

It appears as though someone was just walking by and thought it would be amusing to key the trunks of the two nicest cars in the parking lot. We live in an apartment complex in a not so good part of town, and there's always people walking through the lot. We've been here almost a year now and never had an issue yet, though I suppose it was only a matter of time. I'm always out cleaning the cars. It looks like the scratch on the Passat may polish out, but they got through to the primer on my GTI. I don't understand people...

So, if anyone has any suggestions on a good wetsanding starter kit or something...let me know -_-

2. piginapoke

piginapoke Obsessive Detailer

Touchup and some 105 or Power Gloss, I don't see a need to sand that. I prefer to fill and or polish rather than remove more clear. I was a little confused by the title.

3. TheRustySuper

Well that's good news. How much paint would you recommend applying? And with what? Lol.

I guess I was overreacting a bit...I'm not amused by this. :p

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

very sad...Touch up paint will help, but you will have to wetsand to even it out afterwards...I'm not a pro in this, but you can PM Richy and he will walk you through the steps...
    Jelousy is what turned angel of light into devil...

5. kyle butler

kyle butler Birth of a Detailer

6. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I would want to use DrColorchip paint with a camelshair swordbrush that is sold at automotive paint stores, and a little bit lf lacquer thinner to get the brush primed to a fine point.
    DrColorchip I believe supplies brushes now with their product so that will help too.

I agree with everyone else - you really dont want to sand anymore clearcoat off your paint as necessary, so perhaps think about not doing this for such a fine scratch as this.

The DrColorchip product is a 2 part process - put the paint on, smear it so if fills the scratch, let dry so many minutes, etc., then use the other bottle of product to lightly go over the area to remove excess paint and smooth out the damaged area further. Used correctly, the damaged area will be filled, and it will have the same gloss as surrounding paint would have.

Good luck with this, sorry it had to happen to you. Some people just suck at making good decisions...
    Dan F

7. TheRustySuper

I agree with you guys on not wanting to remove more clear than I have to. I like the idea of that DrColorchip kit, especially because I live in an apartment complex and don't have a garage or anything to work in. Has anyone used this kit before, and how well does it work...will I really not be able to notice the scratch?

Additionally, what about future paint correction? Will I need to be careful correcting around it in the future?

I'm assuming that this will be all I need.

8. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I have used it many times, and this is why I told you about it. :)

You can also get the correct touch up paint from the dealer, get a good swordbrush as I described, get a small can of lacquer thinner from Home Depot or an automotive paint shop, and do the repair pretty good this way too..

Nothing will look exactly perfect except for new paint.

If you have the patience and the time to gradually fill the tiny scratch up with paint, letting it dry between layers, then letting it really dry good and then polishing it out very carefully, it can possibly go away as much as your work and the paint match allow...

Go to liv2detail.com and look up some of Richy's posts on this - he has done a few scratch corrections that look awesome.. It all takes time and patience and then some skillful polishing.

Will the repair last forever ? Maybe... Again, the prep work means everything.. Applying thin layers if possible as your damage doesnt look very deep and wide), and letting it all dry good always helps insure the paint will remain there, and you should be good to go.

Perhaps even, just getting the paint in the scratch evenly will be all it needs to be ok in your eyes...

Good luck with this -
    Dan F

9. TheRustySuper

I think I'll go with that Drcolorchip kit, it seems like the best bet for me. Plus, if it works well on my GTI, my dad will probably order one for his BMW to have me work on the front of his car (track day paint chips).

I saw some of Richy's paint scratch corrections, and they are truly amazing...however, I don't quite trust myself to do wetsanding yet. I'm trying to get the art of paint correction down first, and once I've mastered that I'll move on to more aggressive techniques.

Though I may not be the best at paint work, I do notice pretty much all of the imperfections in my paint lol.

10. Socal Brian

Socal Brian DB Forum Supporter