GTI Engine Bay Detail

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by kustomizingkid, Aug 5, 2010.

1. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

So I have 5 memory cards of cars to post up... been so damn busy... so I figured I would post up something.

Quicky detail on a NASTY 03 GTI.

Zep Citrus Degreaser 3:1
    Zep Purple Degreaser 2:1
    Various Brushes
    Megs #40

Dirty dirty...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tools
    [​IMG]

The first wash
    [​IMG]

Usually one wash does it, but this one was so dirty that it needed a second go.
    [​IMG]

Drying out the coils, stupid finicky VW 1.8t coils... didn't want to rusk it.
    [​IMG]

So much better!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

did you pressure wash the engine bay? I'm always skeptical to do that cuz I don't want to "flood" clients cars....is that possible or am I just worrying too much?

Looks fantastic btw. Great turn around!

3. vtec92civic

vtec92civic Nuba Guru

I have pressure washed a good 80+ engine bays and have not had any issues with flooding or starting the vehicle up. I usually stand a little ways back and just blast away.

Now days though my pressure washer is kicking the bucket so i just use a water hose with my original gilmore foam gun handle and go to town.

Engine bay came out clean for sure in that GTi man . . . . . . a clean engine always looks good and performs better

4. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

Looks fantastic now!

ps3king >> If you're worried about damaging the car with water, use some aluminum foil to wrap the electrical connections; you can shape it any way you like so it works excellent. When in doubt, wrap it ;). Many moons ago when I started detailing Fords were infamous for not starting after an engine wash because of the crappy insulation on the distributor caps, but there's not a whole lot of cars these days with distributors.

5. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Thanks a lot.

A local ford dealership outsources their cars to me :yikes: hehe but I'm going to start pressure washing their engine bays now instead of using a raggity MF towel.

Thanks everybody!

6. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

I can tell you right now there are some cars that you can pressure wash no problem and others that you can't.

Mod motor ford stuff with COP ignition you have to dry the coils out or you will mess them up. 24V V6 VW's have coil issues.... basically anything with COP ignition and deep plug wells be careful on.

7. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

By COP do you mean police ignition? (stupid question)

How do you tell where the coils are?

Thanks in advance for not laughing at these questions ;)

8. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Jedi Nuba

COP stands for Coil On Plug in the auto world

9. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Coil on Plug, and they can be a lot of places... but they are always on top of the plug...

10. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

:doh:

thanks yet again.

11. Brandon

Brandon Virgin Detailer

im pretty terrified to do another one of these on a mkiv..i attempted this on my sisters 2.0 jetta and the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree hahaha

12. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

looking good

13. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Front end looks like a Jetta? JTI swap?

That engine was DIRTY. nice work man.