Grit Guard Pad Washer results

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Rcrew, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

For those of you with experience using the GG Pad Washer, is it harsh on your pads? Does it wear them out noticeably faster than if you were to pressure wash them or use a pad spur etc...

2. domino

domino Welcome to Detailing

that's pretty much the main reason i dont rub my pads against the grit guard

it does feel harsh

after use i immediately spray them down with pinnancle pad cleaner, and soak them in hot water. When im finished for the day, ill soak them in hot water and dawn overnight, then agitate with a bristled brush

3. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

My pad washer works excellent. Keep in mind though, I don't detail a large quantity of cars, so my pads don't get worn out all that quick. It really does work well, especially if you don't have access to running water.

One negative note: The flex RO does not fit all that well in the housing, but it works excellent with the pc and makita rotary.

4. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

I have the GG pad washer and same as Rfinkle ( I don't have a sink in my basement ). yes it will wear the softer pads if you applied too much pressure. I find that it works better with stiffer Orange or Yellow foam pads.

5. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I only have the Lake Country Pad Washer, dont know what the GG pad wash looks like, etc...
    I do know the L/Country Pad Washer was made for cleaning pads with a Rotary which I have, and it does an excellent job when using Snappy Clean in the Bucket.

The hard plastic parts that the pad spins on the top to accomplish the cleaning process are fine with any pad except the L/Country Hydro Tech Cyan and Tangerine Pads, which will start to separate if pressed down to hard while spinning the pads.

Dan F

6. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Hey Bellevue!!
    If you use less pressure on the hydro-tech, can you get them clean without damage?

7. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Oregon !

The dang Hydro-Tech pads are so fragile that even light pressure and they will start to have issues; and my theory is this - if they were designed to not allow much moisture to soak in and rather, keep it all on working surface, and then you come along and expose them to soapy water being almost jetted into them by the big gray wheel of my L/C Pad Washer, then something will have to give, and unfortunately,
    this great foam design starts to separate almost in a line from the extreme outside diameter to the center, and then on through to the other side.
    And as we all know, it takes a few pads to accomplish the first correction of a really scratched, etc.vehicle, and then you wash them, and then they start to separate, and you use them anyway, and then the foam starts to come off in little tiny pieces, and gets everywhere, so next stop is the trash can for the pad.

Any of the non-Hydro=Tech Pads work fine in this particular washer, get really clean and the foam isn't hurt at all.

Dan F

8. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

I don't have the GG pad washer but this is how I clean my pads utilizing my regular wash bucket with GG. I fill it up with warm water and my choice of pad cleaner to about half an inch above the GG. Then i just hold the pad with even pressure over the entire pad and just rub it back and forth and in circles on the GG. Most pads come clean with minimal effort and I am able to vary how much downward pressure on the pad. I really haven't had an issue with doing it this way and don't feel the need to spend the extra money on the pad washer.

9. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

So smart!!!!!

10. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

If you're referring to my post, I think it has to do with being frugal rather than being smart..:doh:

I'd be happy to post before/after pics of the pads using this method if anyone is interested when I wash pads on Monday.

11. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

frugal and you drive an f1?

12. rfinkle2

Although the above idea is likely very good as well, the pad washer does employ a type of pump system that continuously supplies fresh water to the pad. It really is more than just a grit guard.

13. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

I realize this and I was just offering an alternate solution that has worked for me that might help anyone that doesn't want to spend the money.

Also, after I finish cleaning the pad in the bucket i will run it under the faucet for a couple seconds to flush any excess dirty water or cleaning solution out of the pad. again i know the way i do it isn't going to be as fast or any more effective but it works for me.

14. rfinkle2

No worries. I completely knew what you were saying and completely agree. I just want people who might be thinking of making the purchase to know about the "pumping action"...lol

15. Norseman

Norseman Virgin Detailer

I will give you my honest opinion. I was very sceptical about paying that much money for about $10.00 dollars worth of patented plastic with some springs thrown in. And it advertised that it works just as well with a Porter Cable. So i bought one. Probably the worst decision I have ever made. I've tried every technique, solution, and even ran the Porter cable on full speed and it wouldn't do anything. I adjusted the water levels and time after time this thing did nothing but piss me off. my new method? Simply spray the pads with APC, massage the pads a little, then hose them off really well. The grit guard now sits in the corner of my shop and I get irritated just looking at it. Hopefully some people have had good experiences with it but not me...Worst purchase of probably my entire life

16. tdekany

tdekany Wax on..Wax off

do you want to sell it?

17. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

For better or worse, mine arrived last week but I have not yet had the chance to test it out.
    I've done the hose/pressure washer route and it takes too much time (wash, wring out, wash, spin on rotary to dry). Plus with that method, even though it looked clean after a bit, there was always dust hiding inside that would come out next time I used it.
    Here's to hoping mine is not as much of an irritant as yours is.

18. Denzil

Denzil DB Forum Supporter

I actually think the GG Pad Washer is a great tool. You can add some premature wear to your pads if you aren't careful but for me I think it's worth it for pads that cost a few dollars.

19. dschia

dschia Jedi Nuba

The GG pad washer design may looks simple, but it does all that is require to clean a pad at a fraction of time. The pumping action helps to absorb water and rinse them out which is a crucial factor to clean pad. It can be harsh to pads (torn one of my finishing pad), but its only before I get used to the pressure and time to use to clean them.

The thing I don't like about the washer is if you din't dry the pad properly when it is in the bucket, the little GG to use after isn't very useful. With a DA, it does little when orbit on the mini GG and I prefer using a MF to absorb the excess water. With a rotary, it can be harsh to pads as you need a little pressure to dry them properly on the mini GG and i prefer a brush to spur dry.

Overall, it can clean the pad at the fraction of time during a detail is the most important thing for me, so i would say a good tool.

20. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

I'm sure you've tried it out a few times since you received it? what were your thoughts?