Griots Wheel Cleaner

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by suareezay, Sep 28, 2008.

1. suareezay

suareezay Virgin Detailer

I never see this mentioned, but I am pretty interested in it. Has anyone used it, or seen reviews on this? I wash my wheels every week, every 2 weeks at the most, so I dont need anything overly strong; just something that loosens brake dust and grime, and rinses free. P21s is fine, but ive been using it for years and am looking for an alternative. Not necessarily something cheaper, just something different; I like trying new things. I also do not want a spray on/spray off type product.

I have BBS LM's, and this cleaner seems to be endorsed by BBS - whatever that means -, so it seems like a logical choice.

[​IMG]

2. Buddy

Buddy Getting to know Detailing

I went on that site. I'm very impressed with that wheel cleaner and the write up. BBS?:thumb:

3. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

Never heard of it either. What I'd like to know is why they are trying to clean an already clean wheel. I smell a conspiracy.

4. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Or is he showing the product and the results? :shead:

5. ScottieB

ScottieB Jedi Nuba

I have been using this for about a year now. It is very good stuff for maintaining your regularly cleaned vehicle. It doesn't seem strong enough for detailing neglected cars. I just did a Mini with horrible embedded brake dust and it didn't touch it. I will continue to use it for maintenance, but have ordered P21S Gel for the real dirty cars. This is just my experience, and I am not a pro.

6. yukonon22

yukonon22 Wax on..Wax off

I use it for my car for maintenance washes. I love the stuff. not very strong but if you wash every 1-2 weeks it works fine. I go in with Wheel brightener for touch ups.

7. suareezay

thanks guys. im going to try it.

8. BMWguy206

BMWguy206 Guest

I've used the Wheel Cleaner for sometime now and it is true that it's not very strong but it smells pleasant and not too acidic.

I do find that I have to keep on spraying the wheel because the cleaner just drips too fast. This is wear a gel type cleaner has an advantage.

9. The cleaner runs off the wheel quickly as has been said before. It's also very very gentle in terms of cleaning power. I used it for more than 2 years without a problem. The picture isn't an action shot... this is Griot's where talking about lol. It's just for looks, so relax.

10. Peugeot

Peugeot Birth of a Detailer

I'm an ex-Griot's customer. Their stuff is OK, but just that. Not a good value. They sell a lot of spendy trinkets if you look through their catalog. That's their target market.

The only things I really like and use now are Speedshine and their clay. Their interior APC (aptly called "Interior Cleaner") is better than average. But, I use a Woolite dillution now and am just as happy. One product I could not do with out is their clay. Top notch and different from the rest. I don't know they worked around the legal issues surrounding clay, but it's awsome stuff and a very good value. I figure I've spent nearly a grand there before I learned about DB & DD. I've tried most of their products.

Their website and customer communications are completely narrative. No forums, etc. They are very thin on technical information. They have simple, expensive, products dispensed with simple advice.

Their sprayers routinely fail. Their chemical containers are way too brittle and shatter when dropped onto concrete above 12 inches.

They have a class which I heard is fun.

I've heard they're good to work for.

Their customer service is very good.

They manufacture their own chemicals.

Their wheel cleaner is OK. Good enough for garage queens that grace the cover of their catalogue, but for daily drivers that dust up and get used... Not gonna happen.

I live locally so I've been down there a number of times.

11. suareezay

Good info.

Bolded part makes me not want to try it, as my BMW brake dust gets ridiculous after just a few days.

12. zspectrum

zspectrum Jedi Nuba

The griots wheel cleaner is not really strong at all. I buy it by the gallon and save it for not very dirty wheels or very sensitive wheels. Its great on chrome, but then again so is megs wheel brightener,

13. TheJag

TheJag Birth of a Detailer

it may not be that strong but with a little bit of work and the right tools it works amazingly. I've done wheels on a 94' 4 runner that i doubt has ever had the wheels themselves done, one wheel at a time, using only this cleaner and the griots little 4 finger sheepskin mitt i managed to get them looking brand new, the only wheels it has problems with really are the mag wheels where the surface is uneven. I use their mag polish on that though. I use this stuff on my Supras wheels and they look like they're brand new. I will agree about their containers, but i called up griots and told them about my problems and to date they've sent me around 15 replacement sprayers, a full set of 8oz bottles (on which the sprayer is more reliable) and numerous other goodies, griots has always treated me very well and their products have always done a great job for me. As for the BMW wheels i highly reccomend this stuff for them, its not a spray on hose off type formula, and it takes a little bit of work but all in all it works really good and its not harsh on your wheels. I detailed my neighbor in new yorks 335xi, Z4 and X5 and it cleaned their wheels really well despite him never having washed the wheels specifically since he bought them a year prior. Made them look like brand new, and super clean and shiny wheels really make a good detailing job pop in my opinion.