Grime Reaper on wheels?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Emile, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Can Grime Reaper be used on the barrels of wheels to clean up baked on brake dust? If so, what dillution ratios do you guys use? How safe is this stuff? I barely have any uses for it as of now. Currently using Brown Royal for wheel barrels but it doesn't rinse off clean if I'm not using my pressure washer.

Thanks,
    Emile

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I used it on the tires at 5:1, you can use it on painted surfaces as long as you dont let it dry and rise it away. Anywhere from 5-7:1 is going to be safe on paint, have had no issues so far and CG said it would be fine as long as you dont use it 100%.

3. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

I LOVE using it on tires. And I'll pretreat bugs 5:1 with it, as well.

4. Darkstar752

Darkstar752 Horizon Detailing

If it's clear coated and you don't let it linger it will be fine. Any aftermarket wheels that may not be clearcoated, stick to P21S.

5. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

you use grime reaper on paint? i find myself using it more for household degreasing. im actually about to go clean my moms engine bay with it shortly. i just thought its not supposed to be used on paint.

6. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

It can be used in paint, CG told me many times it is safe as long as you dilute it 5:1 or more, and do not let it dry and rinse it clean.

7. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

i've used it on my wheels before. only thing is that it faded the red calipers on my GTI (i wasnt thinking at the time...). now they are not exactly bright red anymore.

8. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Mine have started to loose there nice red when I got the car, thinking about repainting them soon. Almost has a pink touch to it.

9. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

thanks. good to know. how does it work with tar. my moms car has tar spots all over it and i do not want to order Tardis and have not received my stoners tarminator yet.

10. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

I have not tried to use it on tar, for tar I use my own Tardis mix which is Xylene and mineral spirits. Get your hands on some 3m adhesive remover and it is the same thing pretty much and will work great. Just wear gloves when using chems, dont really want it on your hands, this includes Grime Reaper.

11. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

That could also just be oxidation from the heat. Not all painted calipers are clear-coated.

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I will order a gallon of Grime Reaper.