Grime Destroyer on wheels

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by dantesguy, May 18, 2010.

1. dantesguy

dantesguy Virgin Detailer

Well this Saturday I am planning on doing a full detail on my bmw. Now I haven't really touched the car much this winter and subsequently the wheels are now coated with brake dust. The strongest wheel cleaner I have right now is ps21 gel but the last time I cleaned the wheels when they were bad the ps21 wasn't able to get off all of the brake dust. So I was wondering if using grime destroyer full strength on the wheels would 1.) Work better than ps21 and 2.) be safe for the wheels. Anybody ever try this before?

p.s. I'll upload some pictures asap to help you guys out.

2. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I would not use it full strength. Here's what I would do:

The night before you plan to do the detail, apply the P21S gel, and let it sit on the wheels overnight. That should loosen up the grime by morning.

Also, you do have time to order a sample size of Meg's Wheel Brightener from ADS before then.

3. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

That's asking for trouble. P21s should not be allowed to dry on the wheels. There's a guy over on autopia that let it dry and now has permanent etching on his wheels. He's trying to get someone in his area to polish his wheels to fix that mistake.

I've seen P21S etching first hand. Please don't let it sit on the wheels too long.

4. dantesguy

:shead: So should I maybe instead wake up early and apply ps21 and just let it sit for a couple hours to help loosen up the grime? Or just scratch that whole idea...lol?

5. pektel

Wow really? I've seen advice on here more than once to let it sit for an entire week if need be. I've never done it myself. But the advice had been given by reputable members who had practiced this method. The product they had used was p21s wheel gel. Are you referencing the same gel product?

Sorry, this is the first time I have given advice where I had not first performed the method myself.

6. Mindflux

Mindflux Welcome to Detailing

Yes, the P21S green gel. I've been using it since 2001. It's a nice product but I'd never let it sit on my wheels for more than 30 minutes at most.

7. pektel

Weird. Even the manufacturer says it can dwell for 2 hours. I'm just wondering how a ph neutral product would etch, since it is not acidic. Again, just wondering the info is all.

8. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

I called CG just the other day about using Grime Reaper on wheels and here is what the gentleman said:

1.) Don't use too strong of a dilution....probably don't go stronger than 3:1.
    2.) Don't let it dry on the wheel or sit on the wheel for very long. Repeating the application is safer than letting one application sit for a while.

Personally, I use Grime Reapaer 5:1 for spot-cleaning tar off of wheels and wheel barrels but I don't use it to actually clean the wheel. For spot-cleaning, it works well, and it does the job well, with no drama.

P21S Gel directions state to let the gel dwell for up to 2 hours, during these 2 hours, it's okay for the gel to dry up on the wheel but you should not exceed the dwell time recommended by the manufacturer. If it dries on the wheel after an hour or so, just re-spray the wheel to re-wet the product...of course this can become expensive.

In your case, I think it would be totally worth it to order a 32oz sample size of Wheel Brightener from ADS or whoever else sells it. I use it 4:1 on bad wheels and it works like a normal wheel cleaner...not much coughing, doesn't bother my hands much, doesn't dry up, and it's an absolute beast at cleaning tough wheels.

9. impakt

impakt DB Forum Supporter

Phil let P21S dwell on my girlfriend's wheels overnight without problem. The wheels from autopia were a type of wheel that shouldnt of had p21s on them in the first place.

10. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Are you asking questions about SURF CITY GRIME DESTROYER or CHEMICAL GUYS GRIME REAPER?

If you are asking about the Surf City offering, I have used it on wheels MANY times with no ill reactions.

11. pektel

Oh my. that's funny that we misread that.

Surf City Grime Destroyer is good stuff. I even dilute it 1:1 with good results.

12. dantesguy

Surf city garage grim destroyer. Did you use it full strength? How long did you let the product sit on the wheels?

13. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Oh sorry, I misread the original thread/post.

Grime Destroyer is safe on all wheels. In fact, Surf City liked my idea of using the Grime Destroyer as a tire cleaner that is safe on all wheels!

14. dantesguy

Thanks for the responses guys!

So here's the method I was thinking about doing:

1. Wake up like 2 hours before I plan to start the detail and apply ps21 to all the wheels
    2. Let sit for 1-2 hours
    3. Clean and rinse off ps21 and if wheels aren't as clean as I'd like them to be apply grime destroyer to wheels
    4. clean and rinse wheels

What do ya think?

15. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

Surf City Grime destroyer works well on wheels, I use it 1:1 for many things