Greasy Film on Glass

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by milabfocker, Jul 19, 2015.

1. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

I have a film of grease on the inside of my windshield that I'm having a difficult time getting rid of. I've tried Stoner's invisible glass, Zep 505 degreaser cut 1:1, Palmolive dish soap, and magic eraser but haven't been able to get rid of it. Glass looks good until I see it at a certain angle in the sun and then it looks like I have buffer trails (holograms) in my glass. I just ordered one of those Kaywos cloths to try out. Any other ideas?

2. HarleyCharlie

HarleyCharlie New Member

Are you sure its actually on the inside of the glass ? I have run into situations that sometimes there is stuff in between the layers of glass. Sometimes its a defect in the glass when its manufactured. If its definitely on the inside, try a citrus degreaser and and follow up with some alcohol to get rid of the citrus product and then clean with a glass cleaner. I always use a different side of a waffle weave towel when doing my windows. 1 side to apply/remove glass cleaner and then a clean/dry side to buff out any remaining streaks. You can always try a clay bar. Might get the dash a little wet from the lubrication, make sure you cover the dash with some towels.

Another situation i have run into, is that i see stuff on on the glass, and think its on the inside, and in reality its on the outside. I cant get it off with any type of cleaner so I use an old Adams yellow pad on my PC with some polish and polish the windshield.

3. milabfocker

milabfocker Jedi Nuba

As far as I can tell it's on the inside of the windshield. It looks like it shifts around a little when I clean the inside. I just tried some dupli-color wax and grease remove and it still didn't come clean. I've tried an IPA wipedown and that wasn't working either. I always use the two huck towels when I clean windows; one to apply the glass cleaner and a clean dry one for the final buff. I might try a citrus degreaser but wouldn't be optimistic that it would be any more effective than the Zep 505 degreaser I've already tried. Might have to try buffing it out.

4. HarleyCharlie

HarleyCharlie New Member

Can you try using a razor blade in a small section ? I know guys who tint, and sometimes when they do a strip on the windshield they clean the glass with a razor blade. See it that removes it the greasy film. Other than that, in all out of suggestions.

5. aquariusashu

aquariusashu New Member

Its a real nice forum. I like the suggestion of the members . In this forum members share their expert suggestion which i like the most. Thanks for making this thread and forum.