Good tar remover by the gallon?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Emile, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

Hi Guys,

They repaved a section of Anderson Avenue and my mom drove through it right after they paved it. The cops told her to go slow because she had to drive through a little bit to get back home, and she says she did but definitely not slow enough.

I got most of the tar off the body, but the wheel wells are absolutely HAMMERED with tar. Tarminator was my hero but I went through both cans I had on my shelf and I need more.

I have 1Z W99 but I don't think a high-alkaline cleaner is gonna do the job. What's a good solvent-based tar remover I can purchase by the gallon? I was thinking Meg's Body Solvent, but I read mixed reviews on that product.

FWIW, the Rain-X Pre-Wash Bug & Tar Remover (also a solvent cleaner) barely helped, but the Tarminator was really a champ. Unfortunately, the next size up is 5 gallons and I don't need that much!

Thanks,
    Emile

2. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

Id certainly split a container of tardis with you if you know anyone that can source some here

3. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I'm down for that too

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

4. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

We really need to make Tardis locally...otherwise it is waaaaaaaaay too expensive...

5. froboy272

If we can get a 25L container to split a few ways that would work out pretty well i think. i am thinking about doing that with some Autoglym CWC

6. lasthope05

lasthope05 Jedi Nuba

Just get a gallon of kerosene or diesel for the tar.

7. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I would love some Tardis

8. Emile

This is all good stuff guys but I still need a recommendation that I can acquire reasonably fast at a reasonable price in a 1 gallon quantity.

9. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

If you want to buy a name and pay 3 X get it, or you can get a gallon of kerosene that will do the job effectively.

10. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Has there been no known side effects when using kerosene on paint? Would you put the kerosene in a spray bottle or just dampen a rag and wipe?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

11. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Put in a spray bottle, grab a lighter, place by nozzle, light flame and spray on the surface. Only kidding. Not sure about kerosene tho, I wouldn't think its safe for paint though.

12. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

It's safe on paint. Dampen a rag or spray directly on the paint. Do wash after as it will leave an oily residue.

13. lasthope05

lasthope05 Jedi Nuba

Kerosene, diesel, tarminator, xylene, toluene, tardis, mineral spirits.

They are all so similar they are pretty much the same thing when used to remove tar and all are paint safe.

14. astro_ng

astro_ng Jedi Nuba

Wow, the more you know. Knowledge is POWAH!

I'll have to try a few of those items out.

15. froboy272

im working on sourcing some tardis here but wont have an answer until next week.

astro_ng your avatar is hysterical

16. Emile

froboy, have you used Tardis before? Would you recommend it?

17. kaisernaut

kaisernaut DB Forum Supporter

18. froboy272

I have not used it personally yet. Just seen many others speak highly of it. plus i dont like the aerosol application of tarminator.

Yes i have contacted them in reguards to purchasing a 25L container or possibly larger and then splitting it up for a bunch of us. It seems like more than 5 people would be interested so the 25L would go pretty quickly. I'm waiting for them to get back to me about what the next larger available size would be.

19. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

I am on LI and am looking for a good bulk tar remover. Once you get the pricing let me know. Went through a whole can of Tarmonator and still have tar in the barrels!

20. froboy272

I will start a new thread once i get the info. Will be some time after tuesday.