Gleaming Kleen: Porsche 996 Turbo

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Jayplay, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

This was booked in over 2 days and just returned from a few days at "Spa" race circuit and has over 600BHP and a few other Mods

First up was to clean the wheels with P21S wheel gel and various brushes.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tyres and wheel arches cleaned with Megs Super Degreaser
    [​IMG]

Vehicle was then soaked with a citrus degreaser including door shut
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

vehicle was washed with megs shampoo plus and a ***** sponge and then vehicle was sprayed with AS Tardis to help with the claying
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Vehicle was then clayed with Sonus green and last Touch as lube
    [​IMG]

Paint reading were taken with the bonnet showing a reading that showed it had been resprayed with rest of vehicle averaging 100-110microns apart from roof which showed 70 a average of 70 microns
    [​IMG]

Some of the defects
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the true extent of the defects cleary shown with the halogen lights
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to hit the bonnet first which was done with 3m Fast Cut Plus on a cutting Pad and took 2-3 hits
    [​IMG]

Once i finished the bonnet I started to work on the front wings and work my way down the car using menz 3.02 amd a 3m black waffle pad and this is when the problems begin. The "sticky paint syndrome started at this point and the polish instantly started gumming up and the paint grabbing the pad so I gave up with taking correction shots. This really tried my patience and made it into a long day and several times I had to stop to calm down. I tried everything i had but found adding Ultra Fina and loads of last touch helped a little but still fought all the way with it and had to change my techinque

50/50's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

After this I refined the finish using Ultrfina on a 3m blue pad and gave the vehicle a rinse before giving it a wipe down with IPA. 3 coats of zaino Z2 was applied to paintwork and wheels and then a final wipe down with Z8

Tyres were treated with 2 coats of z16 and wheels also recieved a coat of zaino cs
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Afters
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As always thanks for looking

2. trhland

trhland Nuba Guru

very nice!!!!!

3. bjoern5878

bjoern5878 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Great work! great car!
    i love to see porsches detailed

4. Pats300zx

Pats300zx Official DB Moderator

Beautiful job.. !!!

5. ampbmw

ampbmw DB Forum Supporter

love those wheels

love that clean! I hear ya about the sticky paint...makes me wanna give up detailing sometimes. I love detailing for its enjoyability but if you can't enjoy it then whats the point eh?

6. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Great work and beautiful car. I have seen several people post that they clean the door shuts the way you showed and I was wondering after agitation what method do you use to get the soapy solution off? Do you wipe with a damp MF or do you do something different. I really like the idea of cleaning this way and wondered what the whole process was.

7. FMINUS

FMINUS DB Pro Supporter

great job as always!!

8. Nica

Nica Banned

Oooh these Turbos are something else and putting out 600BHP that vehicle would be a pleasure to drive :druling:

Lovely corection there Jayplay and the 50/50 pictures look great. Oh I've noticed a few detailers have had the sticky paint issue, glad you got through it :thumb:

Thank you for sharing, gorgeous vehicle. Just gorgeous :applause:

9. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I LOVE that he represented Belgium with his Spa Francorchamps sticker, EXCELLENT!

Beautiful work and great write up!

10. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

I just use the presure washer to jet off

11. whiplazh

whiplazh Two Bucket System Washer

Great work! :)

12. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Lovely work there Jay! Sticky paint can sure be a pain in the a$$ sometimes.

13. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

I always enjoy reading your write ups and seeing your work and this was no exception.. GREAT WORK!!

So, what technique did you finnaly stay with to deal with the grabby paint?

Do you think this happened as a result of the soft nature of the Porsche clear coat or do you think there may have been remnants of a previously applied product with silicone wtill on the paint?

Very curious on this as it may help if I run into the grabby paint on a 911 turbo I have booked.

Thanks!

14. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

thanks Jason,
    Not sure what the problem is, few other detailers here in UK have come across it aswell and no one yet has found a solution to the problem.

The pad grabs at the paint and cause's it to heat up almost instantly. This premature heat build up dries the polish before it is correctly worked. You have to move a little quicker than normal and regulate the pressure and keep the polish/compound lubed well with a finishing product like 3M U/f but you still fight with it.

I tried wiping the car with 90% IPA to see maybe if it was a case of having some remnants of another product but still didnt help. The area's that were plastic or panels that had been resprayed were fine just the reamining panels were a nightmare

15. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

very interesting... I have read of this issue before but have yet to come across it myself..

Do you have 3M prep sol in your bag?? If so I would be curious to see / hear of that solves the problem when IPA will not... I love 3m prep sol and carry it with me on every job

Thanks for the reply!

16. Jayplay

Jayplay DB Pro Supporter

no I dont...will order some and try it:thumb: