Glass Polish

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Supertuner, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

The rear window of my truck is loaded with contamination and etched water spots. My plan was to clay it and hit it up with some Megs Ultimate compound on an orange pad and a PC on 6. My question is if I should look into a glass polish from autoglym or DG along with the special glass polishing discs; or will the compound take care of the water spots on there. I tried the vinegar trick before and had no luck along with compound applied by hand. Any Thoughts?

2. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

You could try some CG water spot remover. It might take a few applications to get results.

Other than that, not sure what else could work.

3. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

Maybe Glass Science Glass Scrub? I have a bottle, but have never used it.

4. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Griots has a couple different grades of glass polish, or you can try cerium oxide.

5. slanguage

Where can I get some of this cerium oxide? Any tips on use?

6. pektel

Does cerium oxide work on water spots? Well, I suppose if it isn't etched too badly.

Roger, cerium oxide is normally a powder bought by the pound. You should also get some of the glass polishing pads from Ben if trying that out. Of course, be extra careful not to let the surface get too hot, as I'm pretty sure the glass could warp. Since I've never tried it, I don't know the formulation for making the polish with it (I don't know if you just add a set amount of water, or if other ingredients are needed).

As far as where to buy, everywhere from amazon to jc whitney (did a quick google search). Looks like it retails between $14-$20 per pound.

7. slanguage

Thanks. Yeah, keeping the glass cool is a must. I'm sure that would be easy with some distilled water or ONR in QD form.

Does the CO have some serious cut? Will it take out most light defects/scratches in glass?

8. pektel

9. slanguage

Thanks again :thumb:

10. pektel

No problem :D

11. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome DB Forum Supporter

tried co and boy does it heat up quickly. be careful for sure. i have used the griots pair for 15 years and still like them. the special glass pads help but persistence on water spots seems to boil down to patience and repeated passes on cool glass

12. Dannyk

Dannyk Jedi Nuba

Check with Eastwood's, they have a great supply of restoration supply's. I got my CO from the store here in Pottstown,Pa.

13. slanguage

How far is it from King of Prussia? I didn't know you were a PA guy.

14. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I would neutralize the waterspots first before using a polish, that way you know they won't come back.

15. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Cerium Oxide is more for removing deeper defects... shouldn't take something that strong to remove water spots.

16. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I always use either AG Glass Polish or DG Nu Glass. I use a 5.5" white pad on my PC. Put a couple drops of either polish on the pad just like polishing. If using the DG Nu Glass, spritz the pad with water as well to thin out the polish. The Nu Glass is quite thick and can be a PITA to remove without watering it down a bit. Set the polisher to speed 3 or 4 and work the polish until it goes dry. When its broken down enough, it'll wipe off the glass dead easy. Keep in mind, the AG offering will stain rubber trim like a polish so tape things off or wipe them asap if you get some on your trim. :) The AG Glass Polish will make your glass shimmer like nothing else I've tried and will make water bead up and blow off.

17. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

i love the DG Nu Glass, dead easy to use and so far I haven't had anything stick around after the first pass

18. GDAL

GDAL Guest

Do you use it with a DA like Ken??