Given all the hype...

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by rfinkle2, Jan 25, 2011.

1. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

Given all the hype this supposed "microfiber system" that Meguiars has come out with is commanding,

I challenge you guys to give this a try next time your polishing a car (i've found it to be superior to foam pads).

Simply stick a microfiber bonnet over a relatively firm polishing pad (USING A DA POLISHER...can also try rotary) and use any of the menzerna finishing polishes (i.e. po85rd, super finish formerly po1066f etc.) You will be rewarded with a hologram free / micromarring free perfect finish on any color / hardness paint.

For that matter, the density of the foam underneath of the bonnet dictates the amount of pressure that you can use, and the depth of the marring / swirls you can cut.
    experiment with the cut of the polishes you use too.

i really wanted to share this with you guys and hope you'll try it.

2. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

hmmm sounds promising !

3. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I can see where it may be effective but I feel like it would be the exact same as jeweling the paint with like a DD black uber pad with a finishing polish. I may try it for kicks though.

4. rfinkle2

this on a RO polisher ( and some pressure) with po1066f (aka super finish) will knock out some pretty deep swirls too.

it gives the same effect as "jeweling" with a lot less effort IMO.

5. Chas

Chas DB Forum Supporter

I was assuming this was on a rotary, my bad.

6. rfinkle2

I've tried it on a rotary as well, but like the safety of the da.

It also works well on a rotary.

7. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

I will try this next time, thanks!

8. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

That's not how the system works at all FYI.

9. rfinkle2

to add... the pad density used under the microfiber dictates the amount of pressure you'll be able to apply to the paint.

YOU CAN cut some pretty deep swirls with this technique.

admittedly, i've never tried the system... and it has been so secretive, i don't know how it works.

I can't imagine how it wouldn't be similar to either Surbuf's interpretation of "microfingers" or very similar to the technique i outlined above.

can you suppy some details?

10. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Until you have the new gear in your hands, it would be better not to rush to judgement. Dave and those of us that have the product signed NON-disclosure agreements with Meguiars as the product was in development and there are good reasons for company's to do this as it protects their product line and allows for a "Soft opening" of sorts, the product will be here soon enough so no "Details" about the product will be forthcoming.

11. rfinkle2

IM NOT TRYING TO STATE THAT I INVENTED THE WHEEL HERE, nor am I stating that MEGUIARS STOLE MY IDEAS...

I'm simply asking the guys (and you) to give this a shot and it may be a new technique you decide to use.

Time will tell how "revolutionary" this new system is and how different / better it is than either Surbuf pads or the idea I outlined above.

12. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

All it means is that they cant supply you details because of the NDA (without any hostile intentions) and its better to wait till the product is out to judge if its awesome or not instead of trying to replicate it with bits n pieces then saying its good or bad. But yes i will have to find a microfiber hood and see how well it does it versus suburf pads (of which i still need to test on softer paint)

13. porta

porta Jedi Nuba

It looks like the new microfiber pads from Meguiars are similar to surbuf and the pads from chemical guys, but we have to see this after the release.

14. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Ive never had a bad experince with a meguiars product, i think alot of there line is under rated and alot of "hyped" products get all the glory. I will admit I have been sucked in to some of it.... They obviously do something right being around for 30 years . Some of the OTC stuff can be meh, but ive always been happy with the mirror glaze stuff.

15. rfinkle2

i shouldn't have named the thread the way i did.

i was just hoping to share some polishing ideas with the guys on this forum, and it has all been taken the wrong way.

still, if someone decides to try it, please post up your results / impressions.

16. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Jedi Nuba

FYI they have been around for over 100 years ;)

17. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

further proves my point. lol:applause:

I like my botique products as much as the next guy, but I always come back to my Megs APC and other OTC products due to cost and the fact some of them actually perform very well.
    Not to thread jack, but Ive always been a fan of NXT 2.0 paste wax, Im intrested in the new Ultimate Paste, I have heard its engineered from the ground up. and for the cost its worth it to try out.

anyone else use it?

18. rfinkle2

I have...but wait... i was trying to share something w/ the forum .. not bash meguiars. i don't think anyone even took the time to read this thread.

anyway....ive tried the ultimate paste and am a meguiars fan. i find their synthetic lsp's to be a little streaky though, as i found the ultimate paste to be.

if you check out the thread on MOL, you'll find the reviews of the liquid and paste.

fwiw, 135 is one of my favorite QD's.

19. kyoshiro

kyoshiro DB Forum Supporter

but i did read it :(

20. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Jedi Nuba

I don't think anyone feels you are bashing Megs, it just got a little off topic ;)