Get rid of the smell of sour milk??

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by Hum-Benz, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

Is there anyone on here that has experience getting rid of the smell of sour milk in a vehicle? We have a '09 Hummer H2 that we sold originally and she traded it in because her child spilled milk.

2. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

where did it spill? if its on the fabric try CG's Fabric Clean diluted 5:1 if you have some. Ive used this on some heavy stains and it works great and has a citrus sent. Its listed as a deodorizer so it should be good. If using that doesnt work maybe steam cleaning and maybe an extracting machine? sorry if this doesnt help:shrug:

3. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

It spilled on the rear carpets. There are no stains but what's left is the smell of sour milk which will make you gag and put a tear in your eye. The carpets were extracted.

4. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Organic stains- these include proteins and fats, body oils, mould yeast, bacteria, bugs and carbohydrates. Most of the stains found in the vehicle interior are of an organic nature and require an alkaline type cleaner. Some organic stains (i.e. blood, vomit, urine) should be removed with an enzyme type cleaner and a disinfectant applied to the area

Removing Organic Stains

NOT a masking agent; it contains no enzymes or harsh chemicals. It is the only neutralizer that works for all types of odours. It is the only formula you can apply directly to your pet's skin, or use in an enclosed area. X-O Cleaner & Odor Neutralizer is made from essential oils harvested from plant material (herbs, shrubs and trees). The natural ingredients provide a level of effectiveness and safety not found in regular odour removal products – TOTL

5. anbuzero

anbuzero DB Pro Supporter

i remembered reading this a while ago after posting my response, i was just about to post this but i wasn't sure if i was allowed :shead: even crediting you of course. :thumb:

6. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Use ShamWow, Vinnie! Just kidding...I had the same problem where my wife spilled Starbucks coffee in my daily driver. Anyway, first off all, I parked the car in a garage with my windows down overnight (depending on "richness" of that smell it might take you longer), this get most of the smell out. Then I cleaned carpets with Megs APC+, and let them dry naturally. Then I used Meguiar's Car Odor Eliminator, I sprayed a good coating of it on all carpets, and headliner. Once it dried, I repeated an application of Odor Eliminator...once it dried, there was no smell of milk anymore...
    Hope this helps...

7. Nica

Nica Banned

You know, I've been looking at those ozone machines for a wile now and I've always been curious about them. I've read so many great reviews that I'm very, very tempted on purchasing one.

Has anyone ever used one of these?...um...my apologies if my jacking this thread but I'm curious if someone has ever used one and how it would hold up to such things as spilled milk.

8. richy

richy Guest

A couple of thoughts come to mind here. 1st, Carlos..I too would love to try an ozone machine. I know they work in houses where there have been fires, etc. The other thing is that any interior stain has to be identified. You're lucky that you know what it is that you have. I would recommend, like Jon (TOGWT) has, that you use an ENZYME cleaner. It will neutralize the agents in the carpet CAUSING the odour, rather than masking it. FYI, Zep High Traffic Lane Cleaner has an enzyme cleaner component to it. Cheap, readily available too...give that a shot!

9. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I too agree with the suggestion for an enzymatic cleaner, whatever one you like. I've got one that I buy at Majestic Solutions (of course :applause2:) that's an aerosol can. So far, this stuff is invincible! Not for sour milk yet, but on pet stains, it's tops. I use it around the house too.

10. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

The "destruction dept" at the dealer I sell for has one. It didn't work at all with the spoiled milk. For cars that are smoked in it does a good job. If you're a non smoker like I am you can still notice a faint smell but it's not bad.

11. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

That's good to know. I actually need to order some of the super green stuff to replace the sample JL sent to me a while back. That stuff is amazing if you need to get the stains off of your white gutters. What is the name of the enzymatic cleaner?

12. magnumrt

magnumrt Birth of a Detailer

Most likely you will have to remove the carpet and clean it from the under side because the under pad is probably full of the milk . It takes time but it is the best way to properly clean it.

I found this write up you might like to read about a company that dealt with this exact problem. It is the write up after the interpid car .
    Diamond Detailing Automotive Reconditioning Technician Guelph, Ontario

13. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

I have and the US Products machine is the best I have seen

14. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

It's called "Enzymatic Carpet Spotter and Stain Remover."

Mine is in an aerosol can, which I'm not sure they can ship. However, I distinctly remember seeing a product with a similar name sitting on the shelf in pint and gallon plastic bottles. I've never used this version, but I *think* I remember the owner telling me it was the same chemical. Certainly verify this directly with them before ordering, since again, I've never bought it in non-aerosol form.

The aerosol version is simply astonishing for pet stain removal, I couldn't believe it. In fact, all of the carpet cleaners I've bought from Majestic over the years (Extraction Plus, Lemonator, Carpet Spotter HD, Super Duty, and this Enzymatic stuff) have been amazingly good.

15. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

That's good to know. I actually just found out from the Recon mgr. that our dealership uses Browns which is a distributor for Majestic. I'll ask him Monday if he carries it. Thx

16. VooDoo

VooDoo Birth of a Detailer

Bi Carb soda sprinked into the carpets and left overnight will absorb the smells then just vac the next day. Sometime old school methods your mum used works too.

17. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

You mean baking soda, right? I did see that after doing some research as well as white vinegar (I'm sure that smells good).

18. togwt

togwt Nuba Guru

Baking soda will neutralize an acid; white vinegar is an acid and will neutralize an alkaline.

Milk is neither of these (enzyme)

19. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

Utill you get to the Root of the problem anything you do will be a cover-up that wiil come back in time.

I had a Clients Wife leave a Gallon of Milk in Her LX470, it ended up Exploding and Milk Soaked the whole rear area of the SUV. I removed all the Carpet and panels and cleaned them thouroghly. The 1 thing I haven't seen Mentioned that I did was replace the Carpet PADDING...IMO no extractor is gonna do that.

Has anyone ever used one of these?...um...my apologies if my jacking this thread but I'm curious if someone has ever used one and how it would hold up to such things as spilled milk.[/QUOTE]

Carlos, My SIL suffers from all kinds of Allergies. They have this Awesome O-zone Machine its about the size of a 110 A/C Window Unit:giggle: and Cost about 3 Grand:yikes: I can find out the Brand Name if you'd like?

Anyway, anytime I have a request for a funky smell..ie..Musty/Cigarette/Body Odor-(Soccer Moms Kids) I just Borrow theres and let it run overnite 6-8 hours. It will make the Interior as Sterile as a Operating Room. (and Smells like one to:giggle:)

Yes I answered this Question at the top^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:giggle: :sorry: I haven't gotten the hang of this multy quote thig, please bare with me.:thud:

I could spend Hours talking to you. I have always been able to Know how to do something, but not always Know Why it has Worked..................You Sir are a VERY VALUABLE assett to this Site, Thank You for your time:worship2:

20. Hum-Benz

Hum-Benz Wax on..Wax off

LOL....all you have to do is whenever you want to multiquote just hit they multi on each one you want to quote and then after doing that hit the post reply.