Gas smell on seat.

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by chemgys99, Apr 30, 2011.

1. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

need a little help here.i decided to be a dumbass and put a gas can on the seat of my one car and now i cant get the smell out.im pretty sue im gonna have to get rid of the seat but just wondering if anybody has any ideas to get the smell out perminitly.I allready tried soaking it with all purpose cleaner and preasure washing it and sprayed it with CG stripper sent..well lets just say its very clean but smells like a stripper who got hosed down with gas.any ideas would be appritiated.thanks.

2. ramprun

ramprun Any Rag Vehicle Washer

i have never doused a stripper with gasoline before. just kidding, everything that you smell has to be volatile so eventually it will all go away. it would be evaporated away much sooner if you heat it up. how you do that is up to you.

3. pecka13

pecka13 Birth of a Detailer

gasoline evaporates

4. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

Is the seat leather, cloth, alcantara, combination of these, or what, etc.. ??

I agree that gas evaporates, but since it is made from crude oil that was refined, and a bunch of stuff thrown in there that are also petroleum by-products, I am not so sure it can just evaporate away and leave no smell behind..

Dan F

5. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

Maybe Carpro So2Pure can handle this? I have a bottle of it but never used it yet. From what I've read it's pretty good.

6. chemgys99

chemgys99 DB Forum Supporter

the seat is cloth and its been on there for 4 days now and still smells the same. not so sure about it evaporating at this pointi had the seat sitting out in the sun for 3 days aswell.any other ideas?

7. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

So cloth seat and it soaked into the foam below........ not good....... How much gas spilled onto the seat ? A little bit? A lot ?
    There are cleaners out there that have some deodorizing abilities, some products have a type of chemical enzyme that helps kill these things, Meguiars Odor Eliminator has worked for me on some odors.
    Not sure about this new So2Pure - I tried it today in a smelly trunk and the product smelled like old gym socks,, so I had to use the Meguiars product over it to kill that smell and it was better.
    Good luck with this.
    Dan F