Gary Dean + ONR = OK on Dirtier Vehicle (more than light dust)?

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Peacemaker, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Two Bucket System Washer

From all I've read on ONR & Gary Dean, it seems as though this is the preferred method for lightly dusted vehicles. If there is mud or grime, do bucket wash.

For my scenario, I live in an apartment, so a bucket wash is a luxury I don't have. Now that it's getting cooler, even more difficult. My car isn't filthy, but it is dirty. The paint feels like its covered w/ dust & pollen. It's rained all last week and has lots of dried dirt on the back (GTI; hatchback). I saw some road grime on under the rear bumper from the tire sling (not from my products).

I am thinking about doing an ONR wash here. The only concern I really have is the road grime near the rear tires. Otherwise, the rest I think would be okay. I'll definitely need one towel per panel. I feel like because the towel is completely soaked in lubricating solution, you should be safe to clean the vehicle. And it's not like I have mud or heavy debris on it.

What do you guys think?

2. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

When in doubt, go to a coin op wash and hit the areas of concern with high pressure water blast

3. Peacemaker

Oh, I plan on doing that as my pre wash. I wish I could use the foam from those sprayers, but I don't trust the soap!

4. Rocket01

Rocket01 Birth of a Detailer

Garry Dean's method reduces the risk of inducing marring by not reintroducing the dirt you have removed back into the bucket of rinseless wash or back onto the vehicle if the wash media was not completly rinsed.

I prefer traditional washes for real dirty cars but I think I'd be willing to use Garry's method if I couldn't access a hose

5. Peacemaker

For the sake of time, I am going to spot treat/pre-soak w/ b&t remover as well as mist Poorboy's Spray & Wash on each panel before I wash.

6. React

React Birth of a Detailer

Exactly what I would do. I would even tackle the wheels/tires at the coin op (with my own buckets/apc/etc) if they were REALLY dirty. I live in an apartment and I do ONR washes on my car bi weekly in my garage.

7. Peacemaker

So, everything worked out just fine. I used the coin op to pre wash (along with my spot treated b&t remover). The dirt was thickest on the rear (as expected), and took extra care back there. The only negative of this whole event, was that I can now see the super light marring that I missed during my last detail (last month).

It's very hard to see swirls on a white car. Also made it tough that I didn't have any good cutting pads during my polish :\

8. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

It's funny that you posted this, because I am in your exact position. I even have a GTI, though it's red. You said you've already finished so I won't post much advice--your process is pretty much the same as mine. As long as my car is just dusty/grimy, I usually just pre-soak the dirtiest areas with ONR at QD dilution and do the ONR wash like usual.

As a side note, ONR works wonders on wheels, even really dirty ones.

9. Peacemaker

Thanks. I also use it on the wheels as well. I have powder coated fifteen52 tarmacs though. Just curious, what do you do about the b-pillars? These things mar up like crazy.