Garage lighting review...

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by The Driver, Sep 2, 2012.

1. The Driver

The Driver Birth of a Detailer

I posted this on autopia but I hope this helps here too. I know not everyone is on every detailing board. Anyways this a review on the best lighting setups I could find with out using insane amounts of fluorescent metal strips etc. It's been two months now of searching all sorts of boards, 10 plus trips to home depot and 2 failed attempts at lowes (Sorry guys they blow compared to home depot). Anyway's Through the months I've been experimenting with all sorts of lighting, from heat lamps, halogens ,fluorescents to LEDS. After all this I have come to a couple of conclusions.

1. Natural light is always the best.
    2. Every light serves a purpose, they all do an important job. One is not better then the other. (This is not a debate, these are based on fact)
    3. To have the best setup you need a mix of light.
    4. You CAN make a nice lighting setup for under 500 without Drilling 1058460x holes, + you don't need huge buzzing T8 fluorescents to mimic daylight.

From all the info I have found they all seem to point to fluorescents, thats fine and all but I didn't feel like spending the time nor money to hang huge metal fixtures above the cars. Instead I looked into the best place to look for lighting, photography. The results were nothing short of awesome...

Here are the Four bulbs will be comparing + Threw in a stock 65 watt halogen just for fun.
    [​IMG]

On the far left is the Ecosmart Par 30 5000k rated at 1100 lumens.
    The close left is the Ecosmart Par 38 5000k rated at 1250 lumens.
    The close right is the Alzo 45 watt 5500k rated at 2800 lumens
    The far right is the Alzo 84 watt 5500k rated at 4250 lumens (Yes, you heard right)

Here's a stock 65W (I'll say 2700k, but honestly I'm not sure)
    [​IMG]

Here's the Par 30 by eco smart - 1100 lumens... Extremely focused as these are actual single DIODE, not multi diode like most of the cheap floods.

Here it is in the bay running.
    [​IMG]

This is it on the test setup.
    [​IMG]

Shadow
    [​IMG]

If you go LED's they are always focused even the so called wide angle. Led's serve there purpose, that purpose is blasting swirls and deep defects. I apologize, I'll try an get a clearer image of how crisp the LED's really are even positioned 6+ ft away, it's very impressive.
    [​IMG]

Next is the Par 38, 1250 lumens and just awesome "cutting" ability as far as light goes. Again one single diode is better then many small one's. An LED light is mean't for cutting just as a yellow pad is to polish.

Again lit up in the bay on the over head position, very handy when doing heavy corrective work on hoods. Having your hands free is the most important thing as a detailer. It's honestly like having someone hold a sungun for you as your going.
    [​IMG]

Upclose, you can see how large the diode is. +The bulb shape acts as a heat sink. These bulbs give off almost no heat, which most of us dread! Cooler work environment = more productivity. They also use less juice to run.
    [​IMG]

All fired up.
    [​IMG]

Shadow
    [​IMG]

So the LED's are great at what they do, now it's time for the actual work light. First up is the Alzo 45 watt rated at 2800. Honestly this was my least favorite of the bunch. The results were ok and correctly placed they are effective.Here it is indoor's, which is pretty effect as a daily use lamp.
    [​IMG]

Here it is on the setup.
    [​IMG]

Shadow
    [​IMG]

On the plus, they give off alot less heat and consume alot less juice. If you have housings for your bulbs these are just about the biggest you can go as the 85's are just massive and need to hang.

Here's the boy boy of the bunch the Alzo 85 watt 5500k.
    [​IMG]

The shadow is just huge. With fluorescence's size does matter and this definitely shows it.
    [​IMG]

Here's all four on in the bay...
    [​IMG]

Here's 3 shots of the bay lit.

First is just Led's on, key for spotting imperfections. Sorry I accidentally took two shots and it merged an extra frame.
    [​IMG]

Next is the bay full lit, frontal.
    [​IMG]

Bay lit, Door access.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps guys, I know how annoying it can be to find the right lighting setup.

2. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

Thanks for the thread and review. Just to add a bit and to inform others of potential LED issues that are best summed in the follow video. (It's technical, so unless you're interested in science, then skip the video.):

[video=youtube;o8zMhjXcmoA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=o8zMhjXcmoA[/video]​

I found this video after having issues upon converting one of my garage door openers to LED bulbs as I was tired of replacing the standard filament bulbs owed to vibration of the opener decreasing the filament bulbs lifespan. The LED bulbs I used are the EcoSmart 8.6-Watt (40W) A19 Bright White. The issue is that these particular LEDs emit too much disturbance frequency that impairs the HomeLink transmission in my vehicles. Nothing like having your wife sitting in her car pushing the remote to open the garage with nothing happening until the LED lights in the garage door opener turn off. Also, while at the front of the garage and after someone in the house has activated the garage door opener lights by entering the garage, and you are outside the closed garage door trying engaging the remote, you sometimes have to reposition your vehicle to acquire an angle allowing the frequency to make connection or wait until the garage opener lights turn off.

3. sikedsyko

sikedsyko DB Forum Supporter

One of the benefits I have with an unfinished garage is that hanging the long t8's is super easy. Took me all of 30 minutes to put up 4 sets of t8s and they are crazy bright.

I do like the light coming off of those LEDs and how you mounted them. :mounty:

4. The Driver

The Driver Birth of a Detailer

Never had that problem with the garage. Very strange but it makes sense. I'm still an LED user for life though... It's worth it, not having the heat of the sun on your back :)

5. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Ya I have 8 lights with t8s day light bulbs very bright.

6. iddqd

iddqd Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Just to clarify, your favorite pick was the Alzo 85 watt 5500k? I see they're about $21 on Amazon right now, what did you pay?

7. React

React Birth of a Detailer

Definitely need to revisit my lighting (or lackthereof) in my garage. Thanks for sharing this post..

8. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

I have two of those large CFL bulbs and plan on adding a few more. They are much easier to work with and replace then the T8 tubes.

9. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

This is very helpful, Driver! Thanks for posting. I was just logging into DB to start a lighting thread regarding an upcoming garage remodel at my house.

This post cements in my mind using fluorescent and LEDs to get the job done.
    The preliminary research I have done says that the current generation T8s are pretty quiet, would you agree with this?
    Do you know if they make adjustable LED housings so I can better aim the lighting for each situation?

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I had 10 - 8' T8 fixtures in my last shop and would agree that they are dead quiet.

11. wwevo8

wwevo8 Birth of a Detailer

there is also led t8 lamps as well now! we just started stocking them at my work

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Really! What are those worth? Just ordered one of these

13. wwevo8

I will check pricing tomorrow but i think they are in the range of 60bucks? i will check my price as well to see what pricing I could work out lol

the led t8 puts 1650 lumens at only 22 watts and will fit existing fixture with a simple rewire

14. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Ken the LED you linked to looks pretty cool. I like the fact that they are adjustable.

evo- I can't picture an LED t8 in my head, can you describe or put up a link?

Thanks guys!

15. wwevo8

16. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

17. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

Found this shot, a cutaway of the LEDt8

18. richguy66

richguy66 DB Forum Supporter

I love Alzo bulbs! I have one in my room and boy is that thing bright.

19. wwevo8

4k is the max for now atleast

20. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

I swear ShowCarDetailing uses that exact LEd light with a stand. I'm liking these LED alternatives, Halogens can only do so much.