FRS contamination removal, correction, Opti-Coat by Signature Detailing Greg Gellas

Discussion in 'Professional Detailer's Studio' started by Greg Gellas, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Greg Gellas

Greg Gellas DB Pro Supporter

I was contacted for correction work and Opti-Coat Pro on a FRS. Generally, on these newer cars a 1 step polishing can get amazing results. Unfortunately, not this time. It had contamination and severe swirling throughout the paint.

Contamination throughout all horizontal surfaces. While not covered it was splattered on each surface.

[​IMG]

I also found wax in seams and crevices.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now on to the damage to the paint. It started to sprinkle while I was taking pictures so ignore the water sprinkles, I brought it right in and dried it ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After compounding, while still hazy, this shows the amount of correction I was able to get.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In order to remove the contamination I was forced to scrape the top off of each spot and then finger sand using 4000 grit in order to fully remove each speck from the surface. This left quite a bit of damage to the clear coat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then went around and 2 stepped the paint. I decided to go with M105 on a microfiber pad followed with a rupes yellow pad and some Sonax Perfect Finish. After correction and polishing you can see the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This car needed another bath to remove polishing oils and dust from any cracks.

[​IMG]

I pulled it up and dried it using a waffle weave MF towel blotting water off the surface. After wiping the entire surface with IPA, I began to opticoat, below you will see Opti on the surface and I am waiting for it to flash so I can follow up and level it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some final pictures, I still have to dress the tires and hard black plastics. The paint though came out SICK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always thanks for looking. Greg Gellas :)

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Greta job Greg :)

3. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Sweet job looks great !!

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Nice job Greg. Haven't seen one of those with that much damage!

5. Jackal1001

Jackal1001 Virgin Detailer

Great results Greg. I guess that owner wanted a perfect finish because you wet sanded and did a two step. Or was that a bonus you decided to do?

6. blongo804

blongo804 DB Forum Supporter

Great save!!

7. Greg Gellas

Greg Gellas DB Pro Supporter

I found that soaking each spot with tarminator would slowly dissolve them. 4000 Grit removal was faster and easier. If I could have found a way to remove that with a less invasive method I would have. The 4000 Grit came right out with a 2 step so I decided to above an beyond for the the client. ;)