fresh paint

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by grease, Nov 13, 2009.

1. grease

grease Birth of a Detailer

Hey guys. My dad just had his rig painted. Should I seal it now before it cures, stopping it from reaching its hardest, or should I leave the paint bare for a month being exposed to road grime and salt?

2. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

If it was baked in a paint booth, give it a month or so. If it was not baked, it's going to need about 3 months.

You don't want to seal up that paintjob while it's still out-gassing.

3. grease

It wasnt baked in a paint booth...

So, youre saying that salt sitting on the paint is the lesser of 2 evils? The truck wont be washed until spring, so if it doesnt get sealed now, it will go the entire winter like this.

4. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

Rinse the car with ONR. If you seal it, you're going to get solvent pop and the paint won't be able to outgas properly.

ONR washes are your b est friend in the winter.

5. grease

YEa, Ive been using ONR for along time, one of my favorite products...but IVe had ONR freeze...

The problem is that its very rare that Ill have a day off that coincides with my fathers schedule well...and I have no where indoors to work on it. My winter spot is smallish, as an E-class fills it well

I guess the paint will just have to survive bare...not like itll be the first winter like this!