Formalizing a detailing business. Product help!

Discussion in 'Detailers Domain' started by niteryder, Jun 21, 2012.

1. niteryder

niteryder Virgin Detailer

First off, I want to thank Phil for answering some questions that I had via email. I know he is a busy person, so I'll post some questions here.

My brother has done quite a bit if detailing over the yeas and I recently decided to do some as well. Lately we have also decided to get a little more formal about our detailing passion and start a small detailing business for nights and weekends.

With that, we have only really ever used products that are locally available. Maguires, 3m, and some other local products.

I really want this to be a high-end shop with really good quality products. We are not interested in selling the products, just using them.

I keep going back and forth on items mostly because I have never used them. Seems silly right? Lets start a detailing business with never before tested products. Anyway...

Say I have a $500 budget to purchase from DD. What should I buy for a good start? We have plenty of brushes, buckets, microfiber towels, sprayers, bottles, etc..

For all the detail business owners, what are some of the products/equipment you never thought you needed or wanted but eventually needed to get?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Here is a link to an article I wrote about starting my business. Hope it can help answer some questions for you.

3. Rcrew

Rcrew Wax on..Wax off

I would offer this advice...

1. Try and stay calm when new products come out. If you are swallowing the hype every time somebody claims their product is revolutionary, ground-breaking, or a game changer, you will be flat broke and have more products than you know what to do with. Find some solid products, buy in bulk, and beware of feeling like the grass is greener on the other side when new products come out.
    2. Just because a product doesn't have a high price, fancy packaging or sponsored detailers, doesn't mean it isn't effective. The difference between effectiveness of a luxury and budget product is smaller than you think and can generally be made up for by the skill-level of the hands that are using the product.
    3. As far as specific brand recommendations, I find Megs, Menzerna and Optimum to be consistently effective, reasonably priced and widely available.

Good luck :thumb: and if you want, post up an inventory of what you have. That way we can all make specific suggestions.

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

Keep it simple
    Keep it basic
    its not all about the wax
    its about the prep
    its about maximizing profits
    its about maximizing product
    Its about doing good solid clean work with what you have available
    Remember in essence most if not all products do the same thing at the end of the day, don't get caught up in the hype, marketing unsubstantiated scientific claims of nano technology or products that will save the world.

Product lines to look at

meguiars detailing line
    Optimum
    Chemical guys
    even some of the stuff off the shelf like Zeps, stoners, etc.

some of the products most stores even walmart carry that work well.......
    meguiars Ultimate line and their original mass marketed product line in the burgundy bottles.
    Mothers
    Eagle one
    RainX
    SOME of the turtlewax products

I have been in a pinch and found that alot of these products are life savers, remember you are in it to make money, not to make a social statement about the products in your inventory, which is fine by the way, its just not cost effective. Now for personal cars, I personally enjoy the more "luxury items" but for the average detail on a SUV I am reaching for the products I can get in bulk and that dilute.

5. detailersdomain

detailersdomain Administrator

lot of good things said above.

I would say get your name out there by getting some volume.

Keep this as a side gig don't quit your day job.

If you decide to go with more wash, clay , wax get some good products that will work well for you.

Know the pros and cons of them and you should be able to improve your process.

See what your market can pay.

6. niteryder

Lots of good info here!

We just started the business. I have currently been working on things like our website/facebook and purchasing quality products. I also posted a craigslist ad asking to trade free detail services so we can take pictures and videos for our promotional media.

7. niteryder

Here is a list of what we currently have:

Lexol leather conditioner
    Sonax wheel cleaner

Meguiar's:
    Paint reconditioning cream
    All purpose cleaner
    Wheel brightener
    Super degreaser
    Hyper wash
    Quick interior detailer (love this stuff)
    Last touch detailing spray (25gallons of this thanks to an online price error, under $20)
    Gold class wax

Pressure washer
    Vacuum (need ideas on this)
    Various brushes, soft and firm
    Spray nozzles, regular and fire nozzle.
    Rags, cloths, micro fiber towels
    Squirt bottles, pressurized spray bottles
    Different washing mitts, microfiber and lamb
    Soap foamer

I still need to get:
    DA polisher and pads
    Clay
    Polishes
    Grit guards

8. DonVaughn

DonVaughn Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Do you have sufficient lighting? I am just starting out as well and lighting has really made a difference for me.

I use a fenix headlamp, Brinkmann TuffMax LED and then I also have a 1000w dual spotlight I purchased from Lowes.

Loving all the suggestions here!

9. Upper Class Detailing

Upper Class Detailing DB Pro Supporter

1. I would replace Lexol leather conditioner with DuraGloss leather conditioner. As far as I remember Lexol conditioner is pig-fat derived (?) and based on my experience it did not really condition well.
    2. Try LA's Totally Awesome APC, cheap, safe, and cleans very well; to replace Meg's APC and Degreaser.
    3. Try CG CWG (1:4000 dilution ratio), great for stripping wax/sealant and as a maintenance shampoo. And get rid of Hyper Wash and Gold Class.
    4. Clay - Sonus White is gentle yet effective, and cheap
    5. CG 6" DA
    6. Polishes: Meg's 105, SIP, 85.

10. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Keep the Hyper Wash- its a great foamer for the gun. It's probably not the for maintenance washes but it will do as its economical.
    I wouldn't bother with the CG Citrus for stripping- just use Dawn dish soap for the stripping, it's more economical and readily available for purchase.

11. Meticulous-Detail

Meticulous-Detail DB Forum Supporter

Great post.