For you smokers...

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by TheRustySuper, Aug 7, 2011.

1. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I know we've got some smokers on this board, and surely I'm not the only one who smokes cigarettes. How do you guys keep your cars looking presentable, if you smoke in them? Is there anything that can be done...or should I just live with the mess that smoking will create in my car (ash, residue, smell, etc.) until I can clean it out properly? I'll be at college soon so I know having a clean car won't be exactly on my top priorities list but I don't want to do anything to my car that would, I dunno, mess it up beyond repair.

2. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

I've heard good things from 1Z Klima-Cleaner.

Also heard good things from similar vent cleaners.

3. dankfanatic

dankfanatic DB Forum Supporter

routine interior cleaning, windows open, etc..

i've been smoking in my car for the last 7 years. most of my friends are shocked that my car doesn't have a strong tobacco smell. having leather interior helps as well, doesn't seem to absorb as easily as cloth.

4. cu2mike

cu2mike DB Forum Supporter

I don't smoke in my car, lol

5. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

routine interior cleaning, making sure to change your cabin air filter often, and carpro sopure treatments. it will never not smell as long as you are smoking thought. the smell is on your skin, clothes, in the car. the only way for your car not to smell at all is quit and then do a major interior cleaning.

only thing about smoking that will mess anything up beyond repair is accidentally burning something and causing damage that way. i once detailed a car for a guy who smoked a tobacco pipe in his car daily for years. the stench of that pipe tobacco was worse than cigarettes, cigars, spilled milk......just horrible. but with the right amount of THOROUGH work i was able to eliminate the smell.

6. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. The best trick is: quit smoking? It'll save you a little bit a money every month for school, detailing supplies and/or other things! :p

7. Emile

Emile Welcome to Detailing

I switched to E-Cigarettes in February/March of this year and I haven't looked back...been slowly lowering my nicotine strength as well. As a matter of fact, I'm vaping off my ProVari at 4.5V as I type this post.

Edit: Forgot to mention, my point is that regular cigarettes is just a losing battle. You can make your car smell decent to you but any non-smoker who rides in your car is going to smell the cigarettes like crazy. Either quit, switch to E-cigs, or don't smoke in the car.

8. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

I smoke as well. if you do not plan on quitting anytime soon, Ozium is a good spray product. Pepboys and Walmart carry it.

Good, regular interior cleaning also will help in the aid. I keep an air freshener in the car at all times as well.

9. TheRustySuper

Thanks guys! I'm not going for absolutely no smell...I know that if I smoke in the car there will always be that odor. But I don't want it to become overbearing or unbearable for myself or others. Even as a smoker I can't stand the smell of stale smoke. Ozium, I'll keep that in mind. Too bad CG doesn't make Stripper Scent in a form other than spray, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and keep it in the car for an air freshener :)

10. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Why not just quit smoking? If cigarettes would cost in America what they cost in London (10 quid a pack ~ $16.50) +VAT @ 20% that would make people think twice before buying another pack...

11. Bmer89

Bmer89 DB Forum Supporter

I, as a non-smoker, hate seeing people smoke in their cars, especially nice ones. They know what it will do, and then complain about it when it happens. How long does it take to smoke a cigarette, couple minutes? It's easy enough to smoke before you get in your car. Plus, I think it's an expensive way to give yourself cancer... You're either spending money on cigarettes and material to clean you're car every week, or quit and save your self time and money. Others will thank you as well ;)

12. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I have found Dakota Non Smoke to work excellent as well as Carpro SoPure. Neither works as well as not smoking at all, but they are close.

13. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Its crazy expensive how much my dad spent so far! Doing the math and it was about 20k. Of course now theres these stupid native reserves selling cigarettes and they are cheap. I think its like $10 a carton!!! In tern, it only makes him smoke more and not have to count how much he has left. Hiding them for 24h is not the way to go. Smokers get very crazy...

14. dfazekas

dfazekas Birth of a Detailer

15. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I just don't smoke in my car. Smoke before the drive and smoke after if need be. I guess I'm not as bad as some, as I only smoke half a pack a day. I plan on quitting when I start my new job Sept 6th. I will be working in a hospital and it will be hard to get out to be able to smoke considering you are not allowed to smoke on the hospital property.

16. TheRustySuper

I really don't smoke a ton, I'm at like a pack a week and it's been that way for a while. Part of it is the type of cigarettes I smoke...I smoke (light) American Spirits, since I started smoking those I've felt my desire to smoke drop...the craving isn't as bad. Only downfall to the Spirits is that they take a while to smoke. Even if you're trying to smoke one fast, 10 minutes at the least to finish one. Which is why I started smoking in the car, really. When it takes 10-15 minutes to smoke a cigarette I don't want to have to get places early or get ready early just to smoke a cigarette. The odor really isn't that bad now...I always smoke with the windows down and the AC and such off. My car currently smells more like ice cream :p I work at a Graeters ice cream place and come home with it all over my arms and such so that's currently the prominent odor in my car.

17. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

For anyone who chooses to smoke cigs that is absolutely fine I just hope that if you do smoke that you at least enjoy the cigarette at the time of consumption rather than light up and say "this is the last one" or "I really know this is bad for me" because then your completely wasting whatever enjoyment you do or think you get from a cigarette in the first place! I have many friends like that and I just tell them if you wanna smoke than go ahead but don't complain that its something you shouldn't be doing.

As for your smell issue, speed with the windows down? LOL

18. pektel

pektel DB Forum Supporter

I would think the biggest issue with the smoke smell is the headliner. And we all know how fragile headliners are to vigorous cleanings.

I quit smoking cigarettes about a month ago, but when I did smoke, I never did it in the car. I could wait the 20 mintues - 4 hours (however long the trip was) to light up.

Right now I am amassing a nice collection of cigars and pipe tobacco that I only smoke outside.

19. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

We are getting great feedback from CarPro's SoPure.

20. TimAD

TimAD Jedi Nuba

I never understood why somebody would smoke in the first place. So before i upset some people i'm just going to make the suggestion. If your worried about the mess don't smoke in your vehicle.