For the Over 30 Crowd....

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Deep Gloss Auto Salon, May 19, 2010.

1. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

If you are 30, or older, you might think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot.... BOTH ways... yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!
    And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car... We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

There weren't any freakin' cell phones either.. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen.. Forever! And you could never win.. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-finks!

And we didn't have microwaves.. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!
    And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!
    See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980 or any time before!

Regards,
    The Over 30 Crowd

2. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

I was born in 89.

3. JonM

JonM Guest

+1 :gidiup:

funny read though.

4. Prism

Prism Birth of a Detailer

Very true and can relate to soo many parts :)

5. dankfanatic

dankfanatic Guest

LOL man so true!

6. richy

richy Guest

Love it..good post Jason!

7. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Well, you sound old :p Kidding! Yeah, things change, and constantly do to make peoples lives easier! Can't wait for what the future has in store ;) I'm 17 and you do have a point with all these things, we will see in 20 years how easy kids then will have it.

8. corrswitch

corrswitch Jedi Nuba

Very funny thnx :)

Just approaching age and I completely agree.

Geez, just imagine when we get to 60 and complaining how much things changed in 30 years.

9. Spyral

Spyral DB Forum Supporter

in 30 years no one will move. Everything will be controlled by eye movement.

10. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Jason, I laughed so hard I almost cried. I'm 44 this year and my kids wil be 7 and 10 and they have no clue. My 6 year old has more toys right now than I had cumulatively growing up! We kept our toys in a box. My kids have a 12x12 room for theirs. My kids whine when I won't let them use my Sony LCD for their Playstation( which I made them buy themselves ) instead of their own 30" tv in their play room. My kids will never walk to school. I did actually walk 45 minutes each way to and from school. Poor little darlings! They whine when we don't go to a movie every week. They don't understand that its $80 friggen dollars! my first car payment wasn't $80. Kids these days are soft. Period.

11. Jedidiah

Jedidiah Guest

i hope it isn't like this in 30 years. i will be sad ... i can see it going this way though

Idiocracy (2006)

12. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

lol my parents always talk about food when they were growing up, they would yell at me for leaving one rice in the bowl. man................

13. Dial Up

Dial Up Birth of a Detailer

just turned 37 earlier this month ahh man crap was so much different back when

we were kids..

--- real discipline meaning belt or whatever stung, no time outs back then
    i remember @ my elementary school "bad" kids got spanked with a paddle in front of the
    whole class :yikes:

----running home after school to watch G1 transformers and Voltron

----driving for family vacations no cell phones,gps, mapquest and or google maps
    just an old fashion map, do they still sell those????ahhahaha

the list can go on and on.....

14. hockeyplaya13

hockeyplaya13 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Woah, hold up. '90 kid here. Just because we have all of these luxuries, doesn't mean we couldn't make it back in your day! Yes, they are nice, and yes, I would rather not have to grow up without them, BUT had I been in your situation, I think I'd have managed. You're parents were saying the same things when you were young :D .

Ok, now I'm off my soapbox. I feel ya. I'm 20, and have 4 younger siblings, the youngest of which is 10 (I think... :D). And even now I look back on how far everything has come and the things that my sister (just a year younger) and I had to deal with that they didn't. Obviously not as drastic as the difference between your generation and mine, but still! When I was their age, no DVR (I'd almost say no remote since we could never find it, but that hasn't changed :bat:), no MP3 players/ipods, even *I* remember tapes and walkmans. I remember a) not having internet, and b) before broadband became widespread and having dial-up, which meant you couldn't be online very long since it tied up the phone line, I also remember not having cell phones, not having caller ID, the "pager" era, and the Super Nintendo. It's just kind of weird to think that my youngest brother and sister won't ever know what all of that is like.

I see where you're coming from, on a slightly smaller scale. I can only imagine what things will be like for *my* kids.

15. Wes_R

Wes_R Birth of a Detailer

These young detailers now a days have it so easy, back in my day we would have to use Farecia G1-10 that came in a bucket not a squeeze bottle, liquid wax that left white residue all over the place and would give you biceps the size of pythons if you could manage to wipe it off, we had to dry a car spot free with a LEATHER chamois, tire dressing so shiny you could see the future in it, clean windows with NEWSPAPER and vinegar, polish a car with a wool pad that would leave it's own kind of swirls, and a Sun Gun, Fenix, what the hell were those...we used the good old sun to check our work.

And a detailing forum?!? We had to figure it out ourselves!

These kids with their M105, Menzerna, Swissvax, and waffle weave towels, BAH they have it so easy!

16. nothelle

nothelle Birth of a Detailer

LOL, do you realize when you're older...you're gonna sound more and more like your dad. You can say all u want about not going to go that path and be different to your kids, but in reality you're gonna sound exactly like him in some way or the other.

17. kc1337

kc1337 Obsessive Detailer

I remember doing 80% of those things at the car dealership I used to work at, liquid car wax that dusts like mad and sets like concrete, leather chamois, cleaning windows with paper, shiny tire dressings

18. run115

run115 Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I was born in 80, i still remeber my dad buying his first colour tv and vcr back in 1988, Malta was like a third world country back then, then when i was 11 he bought me an atari computer and later a micro genious games console, like nintendo basically.

It is much more easy to live nowadays, but god do i miss my old times, when we used to play in the street without fear of being run down by cars, or by maniacs stealing kids or abusive pervs!!!

19. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Great post sir!

Just turning in a couple months it is so funny to be reminded of what those times were growing up. You are so right about kids now not understanding the value of anything and how they have it so easy. We do try to raise out kids to be better off then us, so in a way I guess it is our own fault...maybe???

20. Deep Gloss Auto Salon

Deep Gloss Auto Salon DB Pro Supporter

Glad you enjoyed it Ken,... I too was laughing harder than I have in quite some time...

Based on your comments, seems like we are cut from the same cloth!

:thumb:

Glad you enjoyed it buddy, you make me laugh quite often, nice to return the favor

To all others that enjoyed it, glad I could make you laugh

To those that may have gotten "sore" over it:p: