? for Collinite Experts

Discussion in 'Last Steps: Waxes, Sealants, and Coatings' started by detaildoc, Mar 25, 2009.

1. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Ok, so how are #476, #885 and #915 different or alike in terms of durability and looks? I've been thinking of trying Collinite, but not sure which one of the three to get. I prefer to stick to the paste waxes. Do they mute flakes? Do they brighten or darken the paint?

2. DC5Berry

DC5Berry Any Rag Vehicle Washer

This may just be my experience, but it took me a little while to figure out 476.

My car seemed to really hold on to dirt after waxing with 476. I thought that I might have applied it all wrong, too thin, missed spots...who knows. But basically, I thought my wax was dead. After two weeks of nasty rains and no washing, I finally washed my car. The pre-rinse with water showed no signs of beading on the side panels.

After washing, the water beaded like crazy!! The paint was super slick and glowing. There were no water spots or other messiness either. All I can say is that 476s may not act like 845 as far as shedding dirt goes, but MAN does it protect the paint even when dirt has been on the car for a while!

I like both 845 and 476. They just have different qualities about them that I haven't exactly figured out yet since I have only used 476 one time on my car (this past fall)

Also, 476 darkened the paint on my NBP (black) RSX very nicely

3. Denzil

Denzil Guest

Out of the ones you listed Luis, 476s is the only one that I have used and I didn't find it to mute flakes or brighten/darken the paint.

4. Nica

Nica Banned

I say get them all and then report back :thumb:

Seriously though, that's what I'm going to do.

5. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I find 845 a little brighter than 476. 476 on white gives a really cool "glow" to it. I prefer 845 as it goes on and comes off a lot easier.

6. c32AMG-DTM

c32AMG-DTM Birth of a Detailer

7. J BELL

J BELL Nuba Guru

Thats a good price...915 alone is 30...

476 is a great wax, along with 845...845 app is much easier..but i have not tried 915, i have it just havent gotten around to using it :)

8. B.Prug87

B.Prug87 Guest

I found 845 to give a nice reflective finish.The trick that iv found especially on humid days is 2 let sit for about 15-20 minutes sometimes longer if theres alot of humidity then it comes off very easy.So usually i pull the vehicle in my parents garage, put the 845 on and go upstairs and get a drink and take a break then after some time i just do a swipe test 2 see if its dry and i start removing once its all dry.dont let it sit for more then a day though.ull need a QD and some elbow grease to remove it.

9. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

Haha! How did I know you were going to say that? :thumb:

10. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

So nobody has tried #885 or #915?

11. DJ_JonnyV

DJ_JonnyV DB Forum Supporter

With 845 I like to let it dry about 85-90% and then buff off. Pretty much the same with 476. If it dries all the way it is a serious PITA to wipe off. I find 845 to be a little easier to work with as I can use my 3401 to put it on. I do the 476 by hand, but it still goes pretty quick. As for durability, someone on here said they thought 476 wasn't that durable, but I tend to disagree and feel that you should get a good 5-6 months out of it. Thaat's on my daily driver that parks inside at night. Also, keep in mind what we think a wax lasts is probably a little less than what it actually does. The 845 seems to last just about as long. I think the 845 is a little slicker and shinier than 476 though.

12. DC5Berry

Yeah, I like the looks of 845 better on my car. I feel like 476 gave me better protection, given that even though it would hold on to the dirt and not bead up, the paint always looked wonderful and beaded up nicely AFTER washing. It got me through winter :)

13. DC5Berry

Sorry, I misread your first post. I thought the 885 was 845. My bad...i have only used the two I spoke of

14. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

No problem. Thanks for the feedback! :thumb:

15. akimel

akimel Birth of a Detailer

I believe that 885 is identical to 476s, just as 925 is identical to 845.

16. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

I would think there would be at least some difference between 885 and 476. :shead: In the Collinite website #885 is found under "marine" use as opposed to "automotive."

885: "For Marine & Aeronautical Finishes. Developed especially to seal and shield against acid rain, sun, salt spray, bugs and other environmental acids. Easily applied and non-abrasive, wax will prevent finish deterioration and the adhesion of foreign elements."

17. detaildoc

detaildoc Guest

18. green dimnd

green dimnd Birth of a Detailer

915 is great on dark colors, and has the expected durability but, in my experience at least, it does mute flake.

19. Wolfs Chemicals

Wolfs Chemicals DB Certified Manufacturer

I heard from a reliable source that 885 and 476 are one in the same, just rebranded for a different market... and my source got it from the horse's mouth. This is why I use 885 :). There could be a very slight difference in the formula (I think 885 has more solvents so it dries quicker), but the nuts inside are from the same tree.

20. ScottieB

ScottieB Jedi Nuba

On my wife's gold Saturn, I use JS109 then top with 915. I really like the way the car looks. 915 is easy to use, for me. She even notices the difference the way her car looks. That is saying something. I didn't care about flake muting on her car, so i didn't look. Her car is due for a strip and recoat, I will check it out.