For anyone living with tons of snow and slush

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by kdude, Dec 14, 2010.

1. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

My interior of my daily driver is getting killed with an accumulation of water / salt/ kaka on the driver's side carpets... the carpets are completely soaked and getting worse every day....

How the heck to i keep the carpets from getting soaked ? I have the best mat's and even put a towel to absorp some of the water but its not helping ... Thank god the car is a lease and thats the good..

Anyway of getting the water off the carpets ?

Any suggestions / comments welcome...

Is there a water extractor that would work ?

thx,
    Howard

2. BoostedMk6

BoostedMk6 Jedi Nuba

What mats do you have? Seems they aren't doing their job.

3. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

I agree. Get a better set of mats bud. Good rubber ones will set you back $20-30 a piece.

4. Kilo6_one

Kilo6_one DB Forum Supporter

weathertech.com has some of the best mats IMO, i have them in all my cars........ and I snowmobile so I too get alot slush and mud in my truck.

5. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Weather Tech mats... and I get into the car sit on the sit with me feet out, and then I knock them together to get as much snow off before putting them in the car.

6. Tomas

Tomas Any Rag Vehicle Washer

This is the way i do it as well. And the only way not to soak the floor mats here in Norway. Much snow and slush here in the winters.

and the best protection for the floor is to use rubber mats.

7. Misha

Misha Nuba Guru

thats why i got all weather mats. problem solved

8. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

9. kdude

kdude Jedi Nuba

I'm amazed that Mercedes would take the liberty to throw in some maps when i leased the car to supposedly protect the carpets of a leased car... the mats are doing nothing and certainly cannot hold water/ slush...

I do use the knock the boots method outside the car with marginal results :)

Maybe i'll order a set of Weather Tech's... i use them in my CRV and they work well.

Thanks guys

10. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

Another vote foe the weathertech mats. I just got the complete set of floor liners for my DD 07 Mazda 3. Fit is outstanding and cleanup is a breeze. Well worth the cost .

11. JPerrydore

JPerrydore Birth of a Detailer

Another vote for Weathertech mats. I live in MA and I use them year round in my truck. Great for keeping mud, water, salt, slush anything off the carpets. They have a raised lip along the outside, so nothing runs off.

12. Atom Bomb

Atom Bomb Two Bucket System Washer

I got the all weather mats from Acura for mine and they work really well (surprisingly). Also, when you are winter prepping your car, you can clean the carpet and go to Home Depot or something and grab this plastic sticky wrap. It adheres to the carpet nicely (like cling wrap) and comes off easily. I throw my mats over those...

13. billyblooshoes

billyblooshoes DB Forum Supporter

i havent used carpet mats in my last three cars. either weather tech or OEM rubber mats for me. luckily audi and vw make really good all weather rubber mats. heck i have 2 different sets that i swap out in my GTI. i have GTI monster rubber mats for fall/winter. they are bulkier and hold a good amount of water and debris. i use rubber R32 mats for spring/summer as they are thinner and dont hold as much.

14. AutoObsessed

AutoObsessed Dealers

WeatherTech Matts are the only way to go, well worth the money.

For the salt stains on the carpets I use Salt Eraser, spray it on, lightly scrub and dry off and the stain is gone. Not sure if it is available in the US, it is a Canadian made product.

Dry Shine - Salt Eraser

15. closekd

closekd Virgin Detailer

I have used a Hoover JR. Steam Vac (not sure if they make them anymore). Amazon.com: Hoover F5411 Steamvac Jr.: Kitchen & Dining

You can mix up a solution if you have created a salt farm or just use water if its not too bad. If the floor has lots of contours and non-straight edges it might be a little bit difficult....but i dont have that problem so it works perfect for me.