Foam cannon users: Best car wash for foam?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by berfles, May 2, 2012.

1. berfles

berfles Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Is it even possible to get shaving cream like foam and have it cling to the car for more than a minute? I've been using Adam's shampoo and it start running off before I even foam the whole car.

2. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

I use Adams lol.

3. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss. I can foam the whole car and clings more than a minute. Water psi will make a difference.

4. berfles

I wouldn't think PSI is the issue since it's a foam cannon going through a pressure washer. I'll check out CG though.

5. cu2mike

cu2mike DB Forum Supporter

You mean like this? ALL THE TIME

[​IMG]

6. dr.jay

dr.jay Birth of a Detailer

I made a mixture this weekend for shits and giggles, foam was out of control clung to the car for about 5 minutes. Key is to have a dry car do not rinse before you foam, here's the recipe

6oz CG Maxi Suds
    8oz of MS Super Foam
    2oz of ONR(for lubricity lol)
    5oz of Zep Citrus
    3oz of CG CW&G

7. berfles

Interesting. For now I went with the CG Honeydew Snow Foam, I like the pH neutral stuff and didn't see anything about some of the others being that way. Actually got a few things from CG, their prices are a hell of a lot better than Adam's.

8. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

I wonder how many people foam before rinsing the car down? Anyone determine if there is an added benefit to this besides your foam sticking to the car longer? I will have to give this a try though next time around.

9. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

Just get some Meguiar's Hyper-Wash.

10. berfles

The thought of wetting it down and then using the foam cannon has never entered my mind... it just doesn't make sense to me. if the whole point of foaming it down is to let it cling there and loosen up the garbage stuck to the car, having a wet car is going to inhibit that.

I don't know, I wet the car down when I don't use any foam, but that's only to blast the loose crap off first. Though now that I say it out loud, I guess I should be pressure washing the foam off entirely before hand washing instead of just going right into hand washing after the foam sits for a few minutes.

11. pokerfad

pokerfad Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Absolutley wash the intial foaming off the vehicle to remove all loosened debris before putting a wash mitt on the surface. The foam is intended to loosen the debris which it will, but if you don't rinse it off then you might as well not even foam it! I have at times done a second foaming and just used a rinse bucket with grit guard for my hand wash. It saves some time, but if your foam doesn't hang long enough or if your in the sun you will 100% need a wash bucket as well.

12. dr.jay

dr.jay Birth of a Detailer

To be honest I saw the foaming a dry car on detailingworld, I've tried it when the car is wet and it doesn't cling as well, also I always rinse the foam off before I wash with the 2BM. I should also add I was stripping the previous LSP I had on the car, the mixture I used did not completely kill the beading to my amazement, so I Foamed it again, still beading, 2BM with 4oz of CG Citrus wash daily and 3oz of Megs SD finally killed it. The LSP you ask? Dodo Juice Supernatural Hybrid, 2 layers applied in early December!!

13. Bunky

Bunky DB Forum Supporter

I have not used my foam cannon yet but with my foam gun I rinse, foam, do not rinse, and then do 2 bucket method. The initial rinse can get the looser stuff and make it better to leave foam on. I am sure both methods are generally safe and more about preferences.

14. Greg Nichols

Greg Nichols Birth of a Detailer

The single largest factor is the amount of foam you get is.............water hardness

If you use a DI water system you know what I'm talking about. If you aren't then the only way to get mega foam is to increase the amount of soap you use and even then its not as much.

Yes If you lower the pressure or RPMs of your pressure washer that can make a difference.

As for shampoos Chemcial guys Citrus wash and gloss has been the best for CLEANING and Foam dwelling i've ever use. I did a bunch of testing about 3 years ago and is still my go to. Foaming is great, but if its not cleaning at the same time, why use a shampoo?

Cheers,
    GREG

15. newbie001

newbie001 Birth of a Detailer

Interesting. I've heard (haven't tried it) that ONR kills foam and that it's a bad idea to use it in a foam cannon.

16. JoeyV

JoeyV Welcome to Detailing

It isn't GPM that matters, but the psi the PW can produce. Then, it also depends on the mixture.

This is 3 ounces of sunlight for 29 ounces of water in the cannon.
    [​IMG]

17. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

I believe the OP is referring to a Foam gun like Gilmours and not a foam cannon for a PW.

18. Chaseme

Chaseme DB Forum Supporter

Try turning the Gilmour gun bottle upside down.

19. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I agree! Megs Hyper wash and Shampoo Plus produce VERY THICK foam, just make sure you add enough soap for the mixture (3 oz will work the best, don't expect shaving cream foam from 1 oz of soap)...

20. drew935

drew935 Auto Salon Works

This was today on my car with 2oz CG Citrus Wash & Gloss and with about 2oz of Zep Citrus

[​IMG]