Flex PE 14-2 & Festool Shinex Questions

Discussion in 'Tools - Machine Polishers, Pressure Washers, Detai' started by Danny, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

As some of you might know I am currently trying to sell my Makita 9227 and my 3M 5" Perfect it III backing plate to get the Festool Shinex Rap 150. I have researched both rotaries. But I am currently stuck on deciding which to get. I could get the Flex and not sell my backing plates since they are compatible with it. The price for me to get the Flex PE 14-2 would be $314 shipped since I have a coupon code I have been saving that Phil sent me a while back that still valid. Or I can get the Festool Shinex Rap 150 for $360 shipped and have to spend another $65 to get the 3M backing plate and a smaller 3" foamed backing plate in M14 threads imported from Elite Car Care in the UK which would total to $425 for the Shinex. I want the Shinex but am trying to justify the price difference for it. I am still wondering if it truly is alot better than the PE 14-2 and if its worth the additional $111. I personally know these things that are unique to the Shinex when compared to the PE14-2. The Shinex is a whole 1lb lighter, starts at 400 rpm and not 600 rpm, has a filter to keep polish dust out, and can be set on its back without toppling over when you need to set the polisher down. I would like to here what the pros have to say on this as well as those who own either both units or one of them. I would also like to here why people like the PE 14-2. I have seen Daves video and the one Mike Phillips mad on it but would like to here some more on it and the Shinex.

2. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Bump for some replies

3. RefPerfection

RefPerfection Birth of a Detailer

I have been contemplating "upgrading" to one or the other as well. There are a couple threads on this forum comparing them, to an extent. The price, support, and availability of the Flex in the US gives it the edge, in my opinion. The ability to utilize the 3M backing plate you already have is also a nice bonus. I've read of a few instances where the Shinex has overheated during operation in high heat. Living in Texas, I'd say that would be something you should consider, and look into before you make your decision.

4. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

for the price of the shinex + extra backing plates. I can have the PE and a used backup Makita ( and I can use the backing plate b/w the Makita and Flex ) but for a hobbyist, someone who don't own a detailing business, don't have a few cars to detail every week, and not much correction work. STICK to a DA, My Flex PE is collecting dust. I only use the flex to buff headlights LOL

5. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I have seen the other threads but not many responses from those who actually own the either polishers and not many in depth responses. I have also heard the shinex over heats and will take that into consideration. Thanks for your responses guys:) Oh and Franky ill trade you my Makita for you PE plus some more cash what you think is fair for it since you only use it on headlights and the makita will get you the same results lol:)

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

6. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

Not yet Danny, I still wanna play with it. for some reason is leaves a better finish on my car than a DA does.

7. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Well it was worth a try lol. Anyone else who can share there experience with either?

8. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

I have both the Makita 9227c and the Flex PE14-2 150 Rotaries. I have used the Flex rotary since it hit my mailbox over a year ago I guess, and have never needed to use the Makita again, except as a back up or for smaller pad work.
    The Flex DID take a little getting used to after using the Makita for years, because it is smaller and lighter and the Makita is the opposite. I really like the way the Flex rotary works for my needs, and the only thing it doesnt do, is go to 3000 rpm like the Makita does, and the only reason I would ever use that high a speed is to help dry out pads...

The Flex Rotary is made very well, and the smaller, slightly thinner profile is way easier to maneuver around vehicles than the Makita.

Im thinking now that the only time I will ever use the Makita is when I need something heavier to lay on paintwork that is so hopelessly scratched that I need all the help I can get. It will always be my back up machine and will wear either a 3" or 4" backing plate when I want to do something that size quickly and dont want to change backing plates on the Flex, and dont want to use my PC's..

As nice as the Shinex may be, starting off with European thread design making you have to change all your backing plates, is already adding $$ to the cost of the machine, so factor that into your equation, and see if that helps you decide how you can now have to do more work to pay for a higher cost of ownership of this machine.. And be sure to find out where you can get brushes if it needs them someday..

I know a few people use these machines, and more power to them, but I dont see everyone going in droves out to buy one either.

I have the Flex Rotary and the Flex 3401VRG( with 2 backing plate sizes) and both machines are flawless after getting hammered for awhile now..

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

9. uzj100

uzj100 Jedi Nuba

I have the PE 14-2 and Metabo. Just doesn't seem that the added $$ for the Shinex is going to get you anything more in performance, comfort or ease of use? I think DSMS (Dave) posted a pretty nice review and video on here?

I really haven't used the Metabo since getting the Flex.

Just my .02

HTH

10. EbbeJ

EbbeJ Jedi Nuba

Posted this some time ago..
    http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/rotary-forum/28964-my-thoughts-flex-pe14-2-vs.htm

The two machines are not day and night, they are very alike, so you would probably be fine with any of them.

I like my Shinex more than the PE14-2, it feels better balanced, the speed control is placed better. Frequent Flex users may find themselves more at home with the PE14-2. If it's worth the extra, is up to you.

Kind regards,

Ebbe

11. Merlin

Merlin Virgin Detailer

I am very happy with my PE-14. No buyers remorse at all. I like it.
    Only complaint: I did find it got a little hot after polishing with it all day.

12. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Thanks for all the replies guys. If I sell the 3M backing plate I will get the Shinex, if it doesn't sell ill get the PE 14-2. Thats going to be the decision maker, from what I have heard and seen in videos both seem like a great rotary to own. Now I just have to sell my Makita so I can get one of them:(