FLEX or RUPES...right now I just

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by 99monguse, May 17, 2013.

1. 99monguse

99monguse Birth of a Detailer

If polishing with my GG6 won't do what I need, then I use my 9227 and then follow up with the GG6 but I am seriously considering either the FLEX or the RUPES. I am in the process of buying other things currently but if you were to make the purchase, which would you choose?

2. OAD

OAD Virgin Detailer

Rupes! I was in the same boat and I grabbed up a Flex 3401 and hated it. Just got a Rupes... Basically gave away the Flex.

You will LOVE the Rupes with a good microfiber pad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

3. Stokdgs

Stokdgs Detail Master

If the Flex 3401VRG rotated Clockwise, everyone would love it.. :)
    Dan F

4. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Nah, cause it would still suck going in the opposite direction! LOL Get the Rupes if funds allow.

5. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

ok if the GG wont do it and you'll grab the Makita, so that turns into a 2 step. I find that with the right combo with the rupes 21mm, you can do those 2 steps in one step with the right polish, right pad and the right technique.

6. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

I love my Flex 3401 and have no issues with it. I just got in my Rupes 21 from Phil and will see how I like it. I feel certain machines work better in different situations. Plus it all comes down to personal preference. What works for one may not work for others and vs. versa.

7. 911Fanatic

Very true.

8. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

I have had my Flex 3401 for six or seven years now. Beast of a machine. German built like a tank.

9. SoCal Garage

SoCal Garage DB Forum Supporter

I echo this sentiment. I'm kind of glad the Flex 3401 is no longer in fashion as it is a niche machine that for me is worth owning. I liked it from the first trigger pull. Not for everyone, and I like it that way.

10. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

Me too, never looked at anything else. Never really needed to. Rupes is probably another nice machine, but at the moment I'm sticking to german machines. Machines will advance, there will always be another model from another manufacturer that will be even faster and less noisy.Its like phones - doesn't matter how fast yours is - 6 months down the road another manufacturer will come up with another phone thats faster.

11. 911Fanatic

If I can add one thing. For me it's not the speed so much as the ease of use. The Rupes is so smooth that correction work is as effortless as it can be. I find myself not having to bear down on the machine like I have in the past. I'm not saying its gods gift, but its definitely the easiest machine I've corrected with.

scott240 likes this.
  12. rwisejr

rwisejr DB Forum Supporter

I used my Rupes for the first time today . Just to clean up a couple of panels on my sister in-laws BMW . It was very smooth as Ken and others have stated.

13. junebug

junebug Jedi Nuba

Don't have the Rupes but I did own the Flex for a while. I didn't care for it, it was awkward with the counter-clockwise rotation, loud on the high end speeds and seemed to me - the worst of DA and Rotary features. I traded it to Todd Helme for his Cyclo, I think I got the better deal although I doubt either of us use them that much.

14. The Driver

The Driver Birth of a Detailer

I have both, I like the 3401 for corners but flat panels the rupes is awesome.

15. Woob

Woob Jedi Nuba

Love the Rupes and it all depends on what you're doing & personal preference.