FK1000P + CG WMF on Metallic

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Gemini13, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Gemini13

Gemini13 Obsessive Detailer

So anyway I really don't post up pics of my work and such because I am a hobbyist and not a pro. I do the same 5-6 vehicles but have gotten a couple paying jobs. However my mother has been after me to do a full detail on her car and I wanted to try a couple of products out that I've had but not used yet. So last Sunday I had a full day (sans a couple of hours so my wife could die her hair while I watched our little girl...LOL) to do the exterior and I thought to myself "man this looks good, I should snap a couple of pics" so I did and I though I would share them with you in as a pictorial review of FK1000P over CG Wet Mirror Finish on metallic paint.

The only drawbacks to each product that I found were that WMF doesn't spread very easily and as such a little does not go a long way. It may have been the microfiber applicator I was using so I will try something different next time around. 1000P is a little tough to get out of the tin on to the applicator but not extremely difficult. Also as with most things if over applied can be a bear to buff off. Not quit M16 tough but tough none the less. Other than that I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

(my mom takes pretty good care of the exterior IE regular washing at the local soft touch)

Car was pretty clean to begin with with light washing swirls, some heavier swirls and some RIDS. Swirls were somewhat difficult to find.

Oh yeah my process real quick:

Cleaning Process:

2 bucket with Optimum Wash
    Tires cleaned with Megs APC rims with Megs Hot Rims AWC
    Clay-ed with Megs OTC white clay and Megs Last Touch

Paint Correction:

Car really needed a two step but only had time for one. I was going to us 1Z HGP I got from E-Shine but it separated on me and I couldn't get it to recombine. So I ran out and grabbed a bottle each of Megs SwirlX and Ultimate Compound. I did one pass of SwirlX (via the Darin Brown method...LOL thats me btw) with my G110 using LC low pro 5.5 Orange pads and got probably 80% correction. If I had time I would have rather done one each of UC and SwirlX.

Paint Protection/LSP:

1 coat CG WMF
    1 coat FK1000P buffed off with FK425

And here are the pics: first ones with limited or no sun

(excuse my moms backyard, its a mess LOL :D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the sun came out. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All comments suggestions welcome. Thanks for looking.

2. POPPAJ

POPPAJ DB Forum Supporter

Lookin' good! I'm a fan of the FK1000 myself, really pops the silver birch on my marauder. Love those Lincolns, hate to see them go.

3. Got Wax

Got Wax Banned

Looks good, nice work!!!

4. Gemini13

Yeah I like the Lincoln also. I own a Crown Vic and my mom had two Grand Marquis prior to the Town Car. Wanted a Marauder back in 03 when they first came out. I'm a Mustang guy at heart. :D Funny thing is I'm 31 and I never thought I would like driving big ass cars until I got an AARP card but man they are so smooth and powerful you just get used to it. I'm not sure of the color on the Town Car but it has this greenish/silvery type color.

Thanks man!

5. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

Thanks for posting! The wheels are lookin' Clean :mounty:

6. Gemini13

Can you guys see all the pictures? I can only see one LOL.

7. ahwil_lim

ahwil_lim Wax on..Wax off

well done dude ... I could see all ...

May I ask, FK1000 hi temp paste wax rite? can I apply it on optiseal? thks

8. Gemini13

Yes. I don't see an issue with applying on top of Opti Seal. I'm actually thinking of putting a coat of Opti-Seal on top of the 1000P next time I wash it.

9. getcha

getcha Jedi Nuba

Be careful with that. I had a terrible experience on a car already prepped with 1000P and Optiseal ended up smearing what was already there and created a pain in the mess.

OOS has IPA as a carrier for its polymers - think of sorta doing an IPA "swipe" - not wipedown, and having a bunch of different polymers mixing because of the mild solvent action of the Isopropanol picks up what was already down on the surface but the wiping action (and media, the applicator) didnt pick it up(as opposed to an MF)... :doh:

10. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

Thanks for the pictures man, moms car is lookin good!!

11. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid Nuba Guru

Very Nice!!!!

I love Linconlns... my summer car is a Mark VIII and my winter car is a Crown Vic...

12. Gemini13

Yeah she was really excited about it and took it out to show her friends. I may actually get a little work out of it. The downfall is she's bothering the hell out of me to keep it washed on touched up. She calls like everyday. :D

13. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Is that a green metallic?

14. Gemini13

Yeah. Its a strange color. Its a blueish/greenish/silverish metallic paint. Its the only car I've every seen painted that color from Ford MoCo.

15. Bunky

Bunky Guest

My Dad's lincoln is probably the same color - mosly green metallic, I would like to polish out later this year. Now I have something to use as a benchmark,

16. Gemini13

Yeah its mostly greenish in color. Its an odd color though. BTW good luck with that if it comes to be. Its a big ass car to polish.

17. dogma

dogma Guest

I bought a lot of FK stuff a few weeks back. pretty good stuff. I liked 1000p better when I topped with PW. I like 425 a lot too. I put 1000p over RMG and loved it. Also think CG WMF is a very underated product. It makes metallic really pop.

18. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Looks good. Nice work. interesting color.

Don't be afraid to post up more of your work. Seems like you are doing pretty good.

19. Gemini13

I have Pink Wax also that I think I will top it with. Maybe this weekend. I'll update the pictures when I do.