Fixing worn-out interior...

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by TheRustySuper, May 30, 2012.

1. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

My boyfriend recently acquired a nice 1999 BMW 328i with around 127k on it for his first car. I spent a couple days detailing it, and we've been slowly replacing things that are less-than perfect on it--like the front grilles that were held on with tape, for example. (Interesting note--when I detailed it most of the car appears to have been repainted. Should be fun to play with once I've got paint correction stuff). It's not in bad shape at all, and despite the fact that a lot of the car has been repainted the carfax has come out clean and so did the title. However, there are a few interior wear items he would like to address that I thought I would ask you guys about.

First, the steering wheel leather is worn down in several places...is there a way to re-dye the leather on the wheel?

Second, the headliner on the front and especially rear pillars is starting to come down. Would it be best to take it to an upholstery shop and see what they could do about it? I don't fancy trying to tackle this one on my own, headliners scare me. I avoid doing anything with them at all costs, unless it's a simple fix.

Finally, and probably the most difficult to fix: the rear speaker shelf. Over the years, it has faded from its original black to a shade of light purple. Is there any way to possibly re-dye or even replace the part?

I can get pictures of all of these things if need be.

2. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

3. cleung

cleung Any Rag Vehicle Washer

Well I know all those parts can be replaced including the rear shelf, it will not be cheap to buy the new parts though so you may want to consider that your last option (I had mine replaced on my 530i a while back). there should be many upholstery shops in your area that can fix the issues you are having. the steering wheel you may consider having a upholstery shop re-wrap for you. Another option is to call the local junk yards to see if they have any wrecks that they are parting out that may have the part you need in better condition than what yours are in.

4. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I'll post pics tomorrow when it's light outside.