Fixing sticky plastic trim (aircraft interior)

Discussion in 'Interior Car Care' started by jameyers14, Aug 2, 2021.

Tags:
  1. jameyers14

jameyers14 Virgin Detailer

I've been trying for a long time to figure out how to deal with a bunch of "sticky" interior plastic. It's this way all over. The airplane came this way from its first owner and fixing it has been been bothering me for a long time, and I'm finally going to ask for help!

The best way to describe is as if there was an adhesive poured all over it. Goo-Gone with a polishing pad used by hand has certainly helped, but it's all still very sticky and noticeable. I've also tried Nextzett (1Z) Cockpit Premium (aptly named!), which also helps a little. Being so sticky, it collects every drop of dust, hair, and other contaminants and quickly looks very dirty.

Like my car, the airplane sometimes bakes in the hot sun. I have no idea if its an artifact from that, or the original owner did something bizarre. Regardless, it's been a challenge and so far I have not been able to definitively clean it up. At least I haven't made things worse.

As far as I know, there is nothing special about this trim. It's just plastic trim.

Picture below:

[​IMG]