First try at correcting

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Red Orc, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Red Orc

Red Orc Birth of a Detailer

Finally stopped raining long enough for me to give this Griot's polisher a try.
    I used Menzerna 2500 and a LC white pad and the results were decent.
    Swirl marks are minimized a lot but not completely gone.
    I think maybe I need more cut than the white pad has?
    I say this because I had to put the polisher on speed 6 before I really started to notice
    any improvement.
    And that polisher is very LOUD at that speed.
    Bearing down on the polisher didn't make any difference.
    I seemed to get the best results by turning the polisher all thew way up to speed 6 and not pushing down on it much at all.
    That was also a lot more comfortable than trying to push down on it.

Maybe I would be better off with a Flex?

2. SilverGTV8

SilverGTV8 Jedi Nuba

The pad you were using wasnt helping. Try an uber orange pad at a speed of 5. It may take a few passes to get everything out.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

3. Tweaked

Tweaked Two Bucket System Washer

I found that using an orange pad improved cutting power over a white pad. The white pad works great for finishing. The coolest part about using different pads, is that you can use the same product to cut and in some cases finish to a high gloss.

I'm with Silver that an orange pad would help immensely. If that still doesn't get out the swirls you could always move to something like FG400. If they are random deep scratches you might be hard pressed to get them out without compromising your clear.

4. Red Orc

What would be a good use for the green pads I got?
    I got them for final polish but it looks like the white pads work better for that.

5. SilverGTV8

SilverGTV8 Jedi Nuba

If I remember right the LC white is equivalent to an Uber green. And LC seems to have two greens or I got a bad batch.. some very course and some just stiff like an uber yellow. I never used them...

There is a chart out there for the LC pads but I can't locate it right now. But I use Uber pads now but tried LC pads and I vaguely remember the following in how they compare.

Uber orange for compounding
    Uber green/LC white for polishing
    Uber blue for glaze/jeweling
    Uber black/LC red for LSP application.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

6. Tweaked

7. Red Orc

What's your opinion on the Adams pads?
    That's what I was looking at before I settled for LC

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Adams-Swirl-and-Haze-Pad_p_714.html

8. Tweaked

I haven't used them yet, but it's safe to say that foam pads in one way or another are basically the same.

Cutting, swirl removing, and hazing pads are stiffer then, lets say, a finishing pad.

And although they may be different in colour from one manufacturer to another, and the colours from one to another might indicate a different foam stiffness, if you were to take away all the colours, all you would be truly left with are stiff foam, medium stiff foam, medium soft foam, and soft foam.

The stiffer the foam the better the cut.

The actually profile (shape of the pad face) can offer some benefits in sweeping away some of the material when buffing, or the amount of cut as well.

I use LC pads myself, but I'd assume that Adams are probably even in performance.

Hope that helps.

9. Red Orc

Just went out & took another look at my SUV.
    The panels I polished don't look any different from the rest of the vehicle but they feel A LOT smoother!
    So I guess I did better than I thought.

10. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

Maybe try taping off a few different sections on one panel to try out different pad/polish combinations...post some pics!