First shot at this - Experimenting

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by Tweaked, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Tweaked

Tweaked Two Bucket System Washer

So over this past weekend I wanted to try out some of my new stuff.

So I called my buddy this weekend and ask him the paint looked on his beater. He told me it was hopeless, and that I could come and try out the compounds and polishes and see how it all works out.

Well he wasn't lying, it needs a repaint due to stone chips, but it did give me a chance to try out some things.

I used various combinations of the following:

Menzerna FG400, PF2500, FF3000
    LC Orange, White, Black
    Optimum Microfiber Cutting 5.5
    PC XP
    Collinite 845
    Zep Citrus
    Meg Claybar and Lube (Using up old stock)
    MF Towels (Cheapo Costco ones)
    ONRW&W (Mixed into clay lube, and QD)

So here is the 50/50 of his hood, you'll see it's wrecked, and the stone chips are everywhere. I tried getting out as much as I could, but I think I require a more abrasive compound for the RDS. Apologies in advance for the cell phone images.

[​IMG]

That's the result of FG400 on a MF pad, finished with PF on a white pad.

So I spent the better part of 4 hours messing around, trying some things out, and started feeling pretty comfortable with the different pads and speeds. I decided to give my hood a shot. It wasn't nearly as bad, but it still needed some correction.

Buffer trails from Seibon that were never corrected. Until now.

[​IMG]

Swirls

[​IMG]

Bird etching or sink mark. This one is as bad as it looks. Some water spots/etchings.

[​IMG]

Etching gone after using FG400 on the area.

[​IMG]

Here is the just the change in colour after PF.

[​IMG]

50/50

[​IMG]

Collinite Application

[​IMG]

Buffed Out

[​IMG]

Close up

[​IMG]

I think in the next week/ weekend, I'm going to finish up the rest of the car.

Getting the hang of this still.

Thanks! :)

2. Tweaked

Image of Collinite after rain.

[​IMG]

I thought that the beads would tighter considering the application was Saturday of this past weekend. Only a single coat was applied, but does anyone know if this beading size consistent with Collinite 845?

3. Tweaked

Couple more images that I'd like to share. A friend of mine has a bug eye Subaru wagon. He's serving currently and recently made the drive back to Ontario from Winterpeg. His headlights were completely mashed. Hazing, scratches, pitting, you name it.

I forgot to take a picture of the right one before I started compounding but I have the left side for reference.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

There was a bit of hazing still and it was driving me nuts, until I realized it was on the inside of the tail light.

4. Tweaked

Almost forgot:

LC Orange with FG400
    LC White with PF2500
    PlastX applied by hand and buffed out by hand
    Topped with Collinite 845

Realistically I think I could have skipped PF2500 altogether, because of how well the FG400 finished down.

5. Pureshine

Pureshine DB Pro Supporter

Great job :)

6. Tweaked

Thanks :) Almost time to start doing work on my own car haha...

7. BigDreZ28

BigDreZ28 Jedi Nuba

nice job

8. Tweaked

Thanks!

9. Tweaked

OK so last night I went to work on my quarter panel... I had a really tough section under the tail light that still isn't fully corrected but it's better... I think I'll have to wet sand next time the opportunity arises:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Notice it's not fully corrected but I was limited in time.

Here is a 50/50 sorry for the quality, I forgot my good camera and I was struggling with the light source I had:

[​IMG]

Notice the RDS still remaining. The big one at the top I couldn't get out fully.

This was done on a PC 7424XP using a combination LC Orange Pad, OPT MF Cutting, and FG400.

I'm thinking either wet sanding or a more abrasive compound probably would have removed further RDS.

Besides using a rotary, what compound would remove those deeper imperfections?

Sorry again for the terrible photos and lighting...