First machine polish - Test Panel

Discussion in 'Compounds, Polishes, Paint Cleaners, and Glazes' started by kaiten408, Aug 20, 2009.

1. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

Hey everyone,

Well I've recently step up to machine polishing and purchased a Flex 3401. Love it so far, I was kinda scared before I used it thinking that it might be too much machine for a novice polisher but I found it quite easy to control and a pleasure to use (though my hands were feeling a little tingly after wards).

Anyway, the car I tested (or practiced on :lol:) was my mother's 4Runner, black! Now then this paint is in HORRIBLE condition, nobody cleans it except for when I come home and give it a quick wash, but nothing more. Here's some shots of what I did.

Flex 3401
    White CG MPT pad
    Menzerna Acrylic Sealant (mix of FPII and FMJ)
    x2 pass

Before:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as you can tell, it removed a lot of the swirls and spider-webbing but nowhere near good enough for me. :shakehead: Lots of RIDS!!

As of now I don't have any more aggressive polishes, i'll be ordering some soon (next time I find a good sale) but any recommendations for this?

I was thinking either:
    1. Use a more aggresive polish or compound with a yellow pad (MPT)
    -or-
    2. Can I use the Acrylic Jacket with the yellow pad and get better results or would that leave more marring than it would fix?

I have a PFW coming in on friday, so I can give that a shot on it, but I still don't have anything more aggressive than this :help:

2. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Nice work so far.

I think one issue I have is the "Menzerna Acrylic Sealant (mix of FPII and FMJ)" I would get dedicated polishes such as SIP and 106FA or even Power Finish. This will give you a wide range of product and pads to use. I would not go to a yellow compound pad till you try a dedicated polish like 106FA on a white pad, if that does nothing then go to a SIP or IP with a white pad. I think you will get much better results doing that instead of used a mixed product.

Never the less, nice job on your first machine polish!

3. kaiten408

kaiten408 Jedi Nuba

Thanks agpatel!

Yeah, i was kinda hesitant to use a more aggresive pad with that stuff, it just didn't seem like the right thing to do.

I traded some stuff with Spyral and he's sending some samples of 106 & 203 my way (Thanks again Tom!)

What would you say the avg work time for this product would be? I know the Flex breaks it down faster than a PC. I spread the product on 1-2, then sped up to 4.5 for a couple of minutes and finished off with a couple of quick passes at 6. After my first pass, I noticed when I was wiping off the residue it was streaking a bit so I assume I didn't work it in long enough, so on my second pass I stayed on it a bit longer and applied more pressure. It wiped off fairly easily after that.

4. lifemal

lifemal Wax on..Wax off

I work the PO203 as long as I need to, essentially. If I need a little more working time I'll slow down my machine and spray a bit of water on the panel. Last Saturday I found myself working PO203 EXTRA long on a red G35 because it wasn't quite finishing down all that well... slowing down and a bit of water and it was flawless!

5. gio

gio Any Rag Vehicle Washer

If you have a compound, it would gives a lot better result. For now just apply it by hands and terry cloth. that would correct those scratch. and waiting for another great offer sale. :)