First Detail Ever - 2006 BMW 530i Metallic Blue

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by ps3king, Apr 4, 2010.

1. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Hey Everybody,
    This is my first detail….EVER! :headbang:

I did this car last week. Let me know of any pointers if you see something catch your eye. I can always use some criticism and grow from it.
    On to the job!
    This BMW belongs to a friend of mine who owns a detail shop himself, except its one of those quick wash and wax shops. He wanted me to detail his car and so I happily accepted and here’s the write-up.
    Now he had just finished applying a coat of Liquid Glass (Sealant) so I had my work cut out to remove that freshly added layer of sealant and then proceed to the scratches.
    Wash
    Schmitt Wash Mitt
    CG CWC
    Zep Industrial APC Foam Gun (cut 10:1) (to remove Liquid Glass)
    2BM
    Riccardo Yellow Clay
    ONR Clay Lube

*Didn’t do anything for the wheels since he just installed those a few days ago.

Polish
    Menz Power Finish (PO203) w/ Green Pad followed by Menz PO85rd and a black pad
    Menz Top Inspection to remove polish
    Gave another CWC wash to make sure polish was off.
    FLEX 3403 Rotary

LSP
    DG105 on the whole car and let it cure overnight
    CG 5050 as wax
    Used Blackwow as dressing for engine bay and other vinyl areas.

Here’s pics of the car!

hood scratches

[​IMG]

some more scuff marks and scratches on the hood

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See the scratches around the halogen light

[​IMG]
    You can see the side I have done and the side that has the swirls
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Letting the sealant cure on the paint

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wiping off wax

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some after shots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scratches all gone, paint is like a mirror

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some Sun Shots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My next detail my car which is full of scratches!

[​IMG]

Also, special thanks to Richy and Slanguage who helped me in a previous thread to remove the Liquid Glass.

Thanks for looking!!

2. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

A definite good attempt, nice work! The BMW looked tired, and even though the front bumper needs a respray, nicely done.

I would clean the wheel wells though, or at least put some dressing on there. Same goes for the plastic in the front bumper next to the fog lights. Some dressing (like 303) would really finish things off.

3. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

Thanks for the advice!

I was low on some Undercarriage Spray but got a whole gallon of it now. I'm waiting on some mods for my car and once those are on I'm going to post a full write-up of my charger.

-Waseem

4. Tjfrom215

Tjfrom215 Birth of a Detailer

I agree about that front bumper, I looked at the outdoor pic of it and was turned off,
    I think it looks sweet, just the wheel wells could have used some work. Sick job man

5. mrgolfrider

mrgolfrider DB Forum Supporter

You used Black Wow for the engine bay..how much do you think you used for all those plastic pieces. That is the first I have heard of someone using BW for the motor, but it looks great! You should be happy since it is your first detail, you will be amazed by how much you learn over the next dozen or so, I know I am.

6. 02blackout

02blackout DB Forum Supporter

Dang, pretty legit for a first detail!

7. christian900se

christian900se Obsessive Detailer

Congratulations on a successful first detail, it is always very rewarding seeing the results of all your effort in the final stages when the car starts coming together. Looks like you have a nice setup too, do you have a workshop you are operating out of?

8. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

mrgolfrider....In my microfibre applicator pad I added a pea size drop as per the instructions and was able to cover almost everything. I got 2 bottles from autogeek (it was bogo) and even after I opened one of them for the first time to use on this engine bay and all other plastic parts it still looks identical to the unopened one. Seriously....a little goes a long way with these things!!!

christian900se - this is my friend's shop and he lets me use it to do my details. Since I don't have very many customers as I'm starting out so it's easy for me to operate out of his garage until I get busier.

9. bryansbestwax

bryansbestwax DB Forum Supporter

nice job man, good to see that flex used for what it was made for

10. cnut

cnut Guest

Good first detail. Just as everyone has said pay attention to the details to complete the detail. It looks like you have good polishing skills and what it takes to get results. Good job.

11. scottBT

scottBT Birth of a Detailer

Its all been said.
    Great first detail, fine tuning is all thats needed but that comes with time and practice.
    The paint looked really nice.

12. infiniti24

infiniti24 Birth of a Detailer

a tooth pick and touch up paint are your friend with your bumper then get it clear braed nicely done

13. ps3king

ps3king Jedi Nuba

thanks for all the replies guys. great to hear feedback and move forward. i'll keep the tips in mind for my next detail.

And Bryan, especially a big thanks to you for showing me how to use a flex in toronto.

-Waseem

14. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Nice first detail Waseem. Came out great. Like the wheels on that car.

Glad I could be of help to you.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Birth of a Detailer

Looks good! just my 2 cents ya need some different rims, looks too "Ricer" Bob