Ferrari California

Discussion in 'Show and Shine' started by Wheelz25, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

Hi again,

This is the same customer who owned the 599 from my other post. Got rid of the 599 and got this so he could enjoy the car more. He initially told me he was going to look at it and I was a bit concerned when he told me it was be black. I was prepared for the worst when he went through with it and brought it home.

After the initial inspection, it was not to bad all things considered. There was slight swirling and light holograms around the car, mostly on the curves and body lines. The area that is visible when the top down had the most severe holograms. Pretty soft paint so it did not need much aggressiveness to correct.

Process:

Interior (regular bi-weekly type cleaning inside)
    - Vacuum out while dusting dash with brush
    - Wipe down with dilution of OPC
    - ONR light dilution interior windows
    - Plain water used to wipe down the carbon fiber floor mats. Customer instructed to use no cleaner as they have a rubbery "special clear coat" Mats can be see here. very sharp IMO
    (California Carbon fibre mats - all the details about our offer for the Ferrari California)

Exterior
    - Wheels cleaned with ONR rinsed with nomad sprayer, Carbon Ceramic brakes
    - Wheel wells/tires cleaned with OPC rinsed with nomad sprayer
    - ONR wash
    - ONR in door jams
    - Clay with yellow clay with ONR clay lube, really no need to as it was smooth already
    - IPA wipedown - wanted to make sure paint was bare
    - Some spots M205 with Green Uber pad and PC
    - Menzerna 106FA with Blue Uber pad and PC
    - IPA Wipedown
    - Autoglym HD x2 coats
    - Aquawax on wheels, exterior windows, door jams
    - Pro Blue Ice Tire and Trim Gel on tires

Befores, just of holograms, car was pretty "clean" to begin with. These picture also show the amount of swirling that was pretty consistent around the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like cursive in this picture...

[​IMG]

Afters...

Sorry the sun was in a real bad position to capture the same picture from either direction. Does anyone have an idea how to stop the top from making these lines? Whenever I go back they are there again. I guess its from the seals but its annoying.

There is a strip of clear bra there so it doesn't marr the paint but regardless it bothers me.
    [​IMG]

Swirl free paint..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the car looks awesome with the top down at this angle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back inside...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for viewing! Questions, comments..feel free!

2. froboy272

froboy272 Obsessive Detailer

nice work getting that paint looking how it should

3. aowheels

aowheels DB Pro Supporter

Nice Save Sir...

4. Kaban

Kaban Welcome to Detailing

Those holograms were nasty. Great save!

5. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

Nice work!

6. hamza7

hamza7 Welcome to Detailing

I don't understand how Ferrari paint gets that way. I thought the owners are suppose to be hard core enthusiasts, anyway glad they have you, nice work

7. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

Thanks guys..

this was brand new, so nothing that my customer did wrong.

8. kakeuter

kakeuter DB Forum Supporter

Great work, it's so nice when paint can be corrected with the 106fa and blue Uber.

-Kody-

9. Auto Concierge

Auto Concierge DB Pro Supporter

Car does look nice, you were VERY lucky that there were not any "Sand scratches" which would be a first as every ferrari I have worked on has them.................and I mean EVERY single car.

The carbon mats sound cool, but how would they hold up after scuffs caused by your clients feet?, kinda chuckled about the part where Ferrari says "Do not use oil on the mats"..................

"Cleaness" acheived.

10. P1et

P1et Official DB Moderator

Very nice work on this Ferrari. Realy like the way the tyres are looking.

11. premshine09

premshine09 Jedi Nuba

Sweet save on the swirls, those were pretty terrible. Great pics, great work!!

12. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

Thanks!

Ya know, I always expect worse, but they must have someone at the dealer who "kinda" knows what to look for when it comes to prepping the cars b/c I never come across anything major like sanding marks. All of the Ferraris I have worked on have come from the same dealer so that's all I can think of. :shrug:

The person prepping the car must have forgot to put the top down though b/c the holograms I showed were much more severe than the minor ones around the rest of the body. So I'm assuming those were from the factory.

So far the mats have held up fine. No scuffs or anything, the coating on them is really kind of strange, its like a real sticky, tacky coating...even when I wipe them down with a damp microfiber it grabs like crazy

Thanks, the Pro Blue Ice tire and trim gel is really a product I would recommend trying. let me know if you have any questions about it.

Thanks, I've been trying to document my work better!

13. v|nsan|ty

v|nsan|ty Obsessive Detailer

Great job! Those were some nasty looking holograms

14. JSF721

JSF721 Jedi Nuba

I am kinda new here buy when I see your posts i know it is always going to be an Awesome job. Keep up the good work. Did you find the paint soft or hard. the correction was great. I love that car-acutally drove one last October. The exaust is pure Ferrari.

15. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

Thanks a lot....I'm relatively new here as well. Just hope to contribute to the forums best I can. This black paint was pretty soft and didn't need any aggressive correcting. Firing up any Ferrari brings a grin to my face.

16. dsms

dsms DB Forum Supporter

Very nice work!

17. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

Thanks!

18. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

Nice work! I like the photos very much, may I ask what camera you use?

19. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

Thanks...just a Nikon D40 with the standard kit 18-55 lens. was actually thinking of upgrading to one that has hd video.

20. Frankastic

Frankastic Detail Photographer

I have a canon T3i 18-55 lens. it take good photos and videos, but I think nikon cameras are better from what I heard. so I say upgrade to a nikon D5100 or D7000 :)