Favorite trim restorer for faded plastic?

Discussion in 'Car Detailing Product Discussion' started by Prancing Horse, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Prancing Horse

Prancing Horse Any Rag Vehicle Washer

I've got a question for everyone out there. I've been reading up about Black Wow, and I'm loving the results and reviews I've seen on it. However, I'm curious what everyone uses on faded hard plastic moldings on vehicles like the Honda Element and Chevy Avalanche?

Considering they're mostly gray in color, is it safe to assume that Black Wow is a no-no, and if so, is there something out there more suitable for these colors?

And as a follow up question, what are everyone's favorite dressings/protectants for all trim, why, and what kind of results can be expected (longevity)?

Thanks, guys. All answers are greatly appreciated!

2. d00t

d00t Welcome to Detailing

Poorboys Trim restorer is great. Love it to death!

It's oil based, but is quite watery, unlike black wow. Is easy to work with, unlike black wow, and buffs to a satin sheen, unlike black wow.

Ken @ Autowerkes Exclusive told me he's got the best durability out of Trim restorer than any other trim dressing. Be sure to check his section of DB and check out his online store :thumb:

3. Bunky

Bunky Guest

Black Wow is working better on my 97 Dakota plastics (mirrors, door pulls) that either PB TR and Mothers Back to Black ever did. After I made a special applicator, I was able to apply black wow without making a major mess (getting on paint). BW will likely darken anything initially.

4. Reflect

Reflect DB Forum Supporter

I'm pretty sure that trim dressing is universal for all colors. It's called Black Wow because most trim is black = biggest market. The only thing that is color dependant is trim dye.

5. pushtiulk

pushtiulk Guest

A customer who ordered from me Black WOW gave on a romanian forum a short review. Because low temperature could not test the product directly on the plastic exterior of the car, and that impatience was great, he decided to try the product from an engine plastic that he had around the house. Apply Black WOW (very little is applied to get the desired result, even the product slogan is "Less is more"), and after drying, to test the strength of the product, decided to wash the plastic with detergent. Said and done, washed off with detergent, then rinse, and surprise Black WOW was still there. I quote the words customer: "look the same, so the moment the effect of "rejuvenation" of color, to tell you, it keeps"

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

The downside to Black Wow is that its very expensive and I personally find it a PITA to apply. PB trim restorer does last quite a while, is inexpensive and is easy to apply.

7. Bunky

Bunky Guest

In my first use of Black Wow, I was underwhelmed by its durability. It did seem better than others I have used but not twice as long before needing a touch up coat. On one specific area (the door handles), it was barely lasted much longer. The results depend on the base plastic..it just works better on some than others. The trim products' performance varies...some work better on some plastics than others.

8. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

I'm with Ken. I like the results just fine, but to me, it's a hassle to use. It has an amazing ability to get all over everything. Trim, paint, glass, your hands, ugh. It reminds me of anti-seize compound.

9. krshultz

krshultz Nuba Guru

By the way - if the item in question is something that can be easily removed from the vehicle, I am a fan of redying the trim. This is a much more permanent solution.

10. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

I like Ultima Trim Guard Plus. Easy to apply, and it lasts sooooooo long!

11. Denzil

Denzil Guest

BW does get messy and when you try not to be messy, you just spend too much time doing it. Also, I've found that all trim restore products can be hit and miss as well. There are just some picky plastic trims that don't like trim restoring products.

I have both BW and PB's Trim Restorer but I'm always open to trying other things. Right now I have the Ultima Tire & Trim Guard Plus to try out (thanks supercharged!).

12. Legacy99

Legacy99 Wax on..Wax off

I'm with you on Ultima.:thumb:

13. leamangriffin

leamangriffin Two Bucket System Washer

there is another product out there that was supposedly designed for the Chevy Avalanche. I think it is called Armor Dillo. Very expensive but Ive heard its the best.

14. supercharged

supercharged DB Forum Supporter

you are welcome! Let us know how you like it...

15. Vader007

Vader007 Virgin Detailer

Another vote for Ultima Trim Guard Plus! :headbang:

16. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I have heard grrat things bout PB trim restorer and Hi Temp bumper and molding. I want to try G1 twchniq and Dodo juice trim restorer myself

17. michakaveli

michakaveli Welcome to Detailing

I have tried it and use it on my daily driver. So far I REALLY like this product. I like it as it is much easier/cleaner to apply than BlackWow, and it lasts. The initial satin finish will die down some, but water still keeps beading for a long time, easily 4 weeks if not longer. I have not had a trim dressing last this long, although BlackWow does stay on for a bit, but is much more noticeable as far as it's appearance degradation (wears off). After a while it will continue to bead the surface, but not provide that intense black satiny sheen.

If that made any sense...

Just wiping the treated areas with an ONR solution makes cleaning easier as well. It is expensive, but you do not use a lot at all.

18. Audi2.7t

Audi2.7t Two Bucket System Washer

I love 303, then again, i haven't tried Black WOW yet which i hear (and see) good thing about.