Favorite Car Film (Standard or Short)

Discussion in 'Detailing Bliss Lounge' started by Michael @ einszett, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Michael @ einszett

Michael @ einszett DB Certified Manufacturer

I have "Bullitt" arriving in the mail today which got me thinking, what's your favorite car film(s)?

Here are mine:

Short Films
    - The Hire series by BMW films with Clive Owen - Especially "Beat The Devil" with James Brown YouTube - Beat The Devil (BMW Short Film)

- "24 Hours in 19500 Frames" 24 HOURS IN 19500 FRAMES on Vimeo

Standard Films
    Le Mans w/ Steve McQueen - primarily for the amazing camera shots during the race.

I'll probably update this once I see Bullitt and The French Connection (also on my movie cue).

2. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

I know it is corny, but the first "Fast and Furious"...

I lol @ myself for that one!

Another corny one ... but I like it, crap.. I forget the name, but it has Nicholas Cage and he is "boostin" aka stealing all of the cars...

EDIT: "Gone in 60 seconds"

Do the Transporter films count??? I like the driving in those.

3. Michael @ einszett

My bad... Gone in 60 Seconds should be on my list. There are some good moments in there and then there's the long good moment at the end with Eleanor.

But I can't agree with you on FNF lol! But there is a line that I will never forget. It's when he asks about the nitrous and requests "I'll take two." At least that's what I think the line was :D

4. luke093

luke093 Welcome to Detailing

Thats odd, the line that I can't forget was when they pulled up against the ferrari on the lights. "Whats the retail on one of those"..."more than you can afford pal, ferrari"

I can't help but chuckle.

5. Wheelz25

Wheelz25 Jedi Nuba

not necessarily a car movie but the movie ronin has 2 two great car chase scenes, a couple older benzs, bmws, and an s8. i remember buying the movie years back just for those scenes, obviously before youtube could make that easier. good movie overall though

6. invaderzim

invaderzim Jedi Nuba

+1 on Ronin. It had some great car chases in it.

Saw a special on it where they had the cars setup with two steering wheels so the shots of De Niro looking a bit scared during the chases was because he was really in the car for some of them, just not in actual control of the car (which would make it even more scary).

In RED when Bruce Willis steps out of the spinning car, that scene was one of the best ever.

7. Michael @ einszett

Definitely a +1 for Ronin. I saw the making of "Star' (BMW Film) showing the right hand driver handling the car and Clive Owen looking like he was driving. Cool how they do that. Reminds me of my imaginary brake when riding with some friends - except of course it's imaginary. :)

BTW, loved the car chase scene in Bourne Supremacy that took place in Russia and the Bourne Identity with the Mini.

8. Supertuner

Supertuner Jedi Nuba

+1, I loved the MINI chase scenes in the bourne identity, it made me start looking to buy and original mini, those cars are sweet.

9. Schleprock

Schleprock Any Rag Vehicle Washer

A good old cult classic for us Mopar fans, Vanishing Point.

10. Michael @ einszett

Great, just added to my Netflix cue. I finally got on board with NF and I can't stop adding! :help:

11. slanguage

slanguage OD On Detailing

Bullitt is a classic.

Some good car chase scenes in both versions of The Italian Job.

Love the part in Ronin where guy drives the S8 around like mad and dude gets car sick :lol:

The chase scene in Bad Boys 2 where they take the Ferarri out of the highway and they start dropping cars off the truck. Some great shots there. Always turn that part up way loud.

The original Gone In 60 Seconds has 93 cars destroyed in 34 minutes :D

2 Lane Blacktop might be of interest, even though I have never seen the movie entirely yet.

12. rfinkle2

rfinkle2 DB Forum Supporter

Out of all of the cars "boosted" in Gone in 60 Seconds, my favorite is an older, totally restored black (50's) coupe EDIT: 1950 Mercury custom, with a sick exhaust. I'll try to find a picture.

I found the list and the "codenames" lol...
    rides_07.jpg
    1 1999 Aston Martin DB7 - Mary
    2 1962 Aston Martin DB1 - Barbara
    3 1999 Bentley Arnage - Lindsey
    4 1999 Bentley Azure - Laura
    5 1964 Bentley Continental - Alma
    6 1959 Cadillac El Dorado - Madeline
    7 1958 Cadillac El Dorado Brougham - Patricia
    8 1999 Cadillac Escalade - Carol
    9 2000 Cadillac El Dorado ETC (El Dorado Touring Coupe) - Daniela
    10 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible - Stefanie
    11 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - Erin
    12 1953 Chevrolet Corvette - Pamela
    13 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Big Block - Stacey
    14 2000 Ford F350 4x4 modified pick-up - Anne
    15 1971 DeTomaso Pantera - Kate
    16 1969 Dodge Daytona - Vanessa
    17 1998 Dodge Viper Coupe GTS - Denise
    18 1995 Ferrari 355 B - Diane
    19 1997 Ferrari 355 F1 - Iris
    20 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB4 - Nadine
    21 1999 Ferrari 550 Maranello - Angelina
    22 1987 Ferrari Testarossa - Rose
    23 1956 Ford T-Bird - Susan
    24 2000 GMC Yukon - Megan
    25 1999 HumVee 2-Door Pickup - Tracy
    26 1999 Infiniti Q45 - Rachel
    27 1994 Jaguar XJ 220 - Bernadene
    28 1999 Jaguar XK8 Coupe - Deborah
    29 1990 Lamborghini Diablo - Gina
    30 1999 Lexus LS 400 - Hillary
    31 1999 Lincoln Navigator - Kimberley
    32 1957 Mercedes Benz 300 SL/Gullwing - Dorothy
    33 1999 Mercedes Benz CL 500 - Donna
    34 1999 Mercedes Benz S 600 - Samantha
    35 1998 Mercedes Benz SL 600 - Ellen
    36 1950 Mercury Custom - Gabriela
    37 1971 Plymouth Hemi Cuda - Shannon
    38 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner - Jessica
    39 1965 Pontiac GTO - Sharon
    40 1999 Porsche 996 - Tina
    41 2000 Porsche Boxster - Marsha
    42 1961 Porsche Speedster - Natalie
    43 1988 Porsche 959 - Virginia
    44 1997 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo - Tanya
    45 2000 Rolls Royce Stretch Limousine - Grace
    46 1966 Shelby AC Cobra - Ashley
    47 1967 Shelby Mustang GT 500 - Eleanor
    48 2000 Toyota Landcruiser - Cathy
    49 1998 Toyota Supra Turbo - Lynn
    50 2000 Volvo Turbo Wagon R - Lisa

13. Schleprock

Another good old movie is Grand Prix with James Garner, if you're a race fan you will like this movie. I guess I'm kind of dating myself with my movie choices lol, oh well.

14. Michael @ einszett

Yeah, great moment when Donny was about to boost her and he got the call that Gabriela was dirty. I loved his character.

I'm going to check that one out, thanks!

BTW, I wouldn't call this a top 10 but I do like "Driven".

15. Michael @ einszett

This post is sort of old but I finally got to watch Grand Prix since Netflix made it available. I'd have to rank this higher than my other favorite racing movies: Le Mans and Driven. The cinematography and sounds are awesome. The scenes during the race from the driver's perspective are really amazing - especially when you consider this movie was made in '66 and there wasn't any CGI, etc. And the sounds of the cars are fantastic.

The movie also gives you a great perspective on how dangerous racing was back then. Drivers were daredevils.

If you love racing, I highly recommend you check this movie out!

16. TheRustySuper

TheRustySuper Obsessive Detailer

I'll be honest and admit a guilty pleasure here...the Herbie movies. Not really the remake. But they're sorta the reason I'm into air-cooled VW's and cars in general so I gotta give them credit and they do make me happy :D

17. armenakadino

armenakadino Birth of a Detailer

What about the fast and furious movies

18. Danny

Danny Nuba Guru

I also like Gone in 60 seconds I have the movie and always love when the case in the GT500 starts. As well as Badboys 2 when they are driving the 575M, Transporter all three, Driven with Sylvester Stallone, The new movie Drive with Ryan Gosling my girlfriend took me to watch it on my birthday its a good one and I will be getting it once its out on dvd or blueray. I dont suggest you watch this entire trailer though because it does show several parts in the movie that one would rather wait and see in the theater.

[video=youtube;sY1TLgqfjvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY1TLgqfjvw[/video]

19. 911Fanatic

911Fanatic DB Pro Supporter

Transporter because nothing beats a big, black, German sedan. Ronin was great as well. As I'm way older than most of you, my list would be way too long if I could remember it. The opening driving sequence in "Eat my Dust" almost made me throw up. I saw it in the theatre when I was REALLY young. I think it was mid 70's. Ron Howard was in it ( he still had hair!)

20. Schleprock

Glad you enjoyed it and you nailed it with that comment!