Ez-Detail/Daytona wheel brush review

Discussion in 'Pre Wash, Wash, Decon, Claying, Engine, Wheels, an' started by Carn, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Carn

Carn Welcome to Detailing

Our 1st batch of Daytona wheel brushes have arrived, thank you to Chris at eShine. I've been wanting one of these brushes for quite some time and now that I finally have my hands on them I decided to do a quick review :applause2:

Lets start with the brush swinging contest, a side by side size comparison if you will, between the current favourite, the Megoto Quip (Meguiars/Moto Quip) wheel brush and the newcomer, the Daytona.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clearly the Daytona put's the Megoto quip to shame. The first photo shows the Daytona to be nearly 30% longer overall, but length alone is not the be all and end all of brush swinging contests. Not only is the entire Daytona longer, but as can be clearly seen in the second photo, the actual business end of the brush (handle forwards) is a whopping 35+% longer and over 10% thicker. In brush swinging terms the difference is positively huge and separates the men from the boys :giggle:

From a numbers point of view the Daytona appears to be the King Brushading but, the Megoto quip still has a trick up it's sleeve. You see size alone isn't all that matters, what good is a lengthly strand of wool if it is too limp to feed through the eye of a needle! In terms of stiffness the Megoto quip brush has the Daytona licked. Not only is the shaft stiffer but the bristles are as well. How flexible and stiff you like your brush to be is a matter of personal preference, but overall I think the Daytona could be slightly stiffer to tackle those really soiled barrels. Whether or not this will affect the brush's performance is unknown at this point, but I will be keeping an eye on it as I get some use out of the new brush.

So, with the brush swinging contest out of the way and a clear winner seemingly having being crowned, it was time for the next challenge. A trip outside was in order to gauge the new comers performance. Would it's impressive length and girth satisfy, or would it's limp'ness' lead to it's downfall :poke:

Righty then, a fairly dirty wheel. Nothing major in terms of heavily caked on brake dust having been cleaned a week or so back but nonetheless.
    [​IMG]

Some brake dust accumulation in the barrels, again nothing crazy.
    [​IMG]

As usual the Sonax Extreme Rim cleaner was the product of choice for the wheels. Here it is applied and starting to work on the brake dust.
    [​IMG]

And again as is the norm, the Sonax runoff turning purple as it dissolves the brake dust buildup from the wheels.
    [​IMG]

Just a quick one indicating how far these brushes can potentially reach with very little effort.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see it clearly reaches the other side without even being fully inserted. Whilst I think these brushes will still come up short on some of the wider wheels at home on sports cars, for the average everyday car they will almost certainly hit the spot!

In terms of stiffness I feel the Daytona strikes a nice balance, not to limp and not too stiff for wheel cleaning ability. The Megoto's have a nasty habit of snapping off at the base, possibly a result of that being the main flexing point with it's stiffer shaft. The Daytona's shaft on the other hand seems to flex quite nicely without putting too much pressure back into the handle during use.

After rinsing
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a quick rinse and the use of some other brushes for the niggly bits, it was clear to see the Daytona worked quite well despite having softish bristles. I say quite well because there were some small areas that could use a second pass, or alternatively a bit more force in the initial cleaning process.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase and feel the Daytona is a 'Must Have' for anyone wanting to keep their wheels clean. How well it will hold up is still to be seen, but initial impressions are positive and I feel it is worth every penny :applause:

Hope you all enjoyed the review :thumb:

2. sal329

sal329 Nuba Guru

I am in need of some good wheel brushes thanks for the review

3. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

Great review, I have been thinking of getting this one or the mini ez-detail.

4. richy

richy Guest

Carn..Great review but I feel you're short-changing yourself in the brush department. You HAVE to try the raceglaze brush from Ken (here). It will get behind incredibly tight calipers, has a great handle, great reach, great bristles...you will adore this brush I GUARANTEE you!! Put it on your wish list.

5. JackalS4

JackalS4 Virgin Detailer

+1 same here!

6. flash gordon

flash gordon Banned

I've been Eyeballing this brush myself now for 6 months, my knuckles sure would appreciate 1 of these.:shakehead:

:shead: and I will never get a Hand Modeling job the way they look now, unless the Mixed Martial Arts people are looking for 1:giggle:

Great Reveiw Carn:applause:

7. JLs Detailing

JLs Detailing DB Pro Supporter

Couldn't agree more Rich! I am willing to sell my EZ Detail brush to any takers since I got my Raceglaze brushes. The RG ones are by far the best wheel brushes I have ever used.

Great review though Carn and until I got the Raceglaze brushes the EZ was my favorite.

8. agpatel

agpatel OD On Detailing

How much are you willing to let it go for.

Just looked up the RG one, looks like it would do a good job as well.

9. loudog2

loudog2 Two Bucket System Washer

I have 2 Daytona's and love them. Great brush

10. fricker66

fricker66 Birth of a Detailer

Great review. I too have greatly enjoyed the use of the EZ Detail Brush. They really do a great job with minimal effort!